[LUAU] s/hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors.hosef.org/g

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Fri Dec 22 02:17:39 PST 2006

http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2002-October/011089.html

>> I am saying you are free to fork the list, and always have been.
>> I am (expressly) not encouraging you to do so.
>>
>> Only you know why you persist in arguing the point, rather than
>> starting your own version of the list.
>
> When you say: "rather than starting your own version of the list",
> this can be interpreted as encouraging me to fork the list.

When you talk about acquiring the server so you can run your version
of the list, are you not talking about same?

>>> Sorry.  My comment was specifically responding to the hard drive
>>> thread, not to the "help Julin and Vince" part.  My bad for not
>>> editing my qoute better. Actually, I did kind of mention the hard
>>> drive thread.  You just cut my paragraph apart, so it make me
>>> sound like I said something I didn't.  Still, I should've edited
>>> my qoute better.
>>
>> You responded with a red herring.  Why?
>
> I was trying to clarify what I was trying to say.  And also to
> apologize for not editing my qoutes better and causing
> miscommunication.  Sheesh. Seems I can't even apologize correctly
> in your eyes.

You dodged the question.   Thank you for your answer, and yes,
apology accepted.

>>> It is appropriate.  Did I say otherwise?  Matter of fact, any
>>> HOSEF related topic is appropriate for LUAU.
>>
>> So HOSEF is LUAU?  :-)
>
> LUAU is the appropriate place for all FOSS discussions.  Xorg is
> FOSS, and it is appropriate to discuss Xorg related topics.

Both true statements.

> Does that mean Xorg is LUAU?  Simply because you can discuss an
> organization on LUAU doesn't make them the same.

The Xorg developers aren't on this list.   You may be interpreting my
words too literally.   Hows this.  "the community that is LUAU is the
community that is HOSEF"

>> Many people appear to mistake "Scott Belford" for "HOSEF", are you
>> one of them?
>
> Scott Belford created HOSEF.  When the creator of HOSEF says
> "HOSEF=LUAU", that has implications.

First, as a reminder, I said it, and a couple others on this list
agreed with me.  Scott was one of them.

Second, I find it fascinating that you've backed off labeling Scott
as a "board member" (once shown that he isn't) and have now decided
that Scott is the "creator" of HOSEF.

Third, it may be your interpretation that "Scott Belford created
HOSEF", but the history I can find shows otherwise.

July 2002: Warren asks about forming a non-profit (for MPLUG) http://
lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2002-July/009520.html
July 2002:  Scott responds: http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/
2002-July/009532.html
Oct 2002: Scott proposes a non-profit http://lists.hosef.org/
pipermail/luau/2002-October/010901.html
Oct 2002:  Warren proposes the name (for the second time) http://
lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2002-October/010989.html
Jan 2003: http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2003-January/012129.html
Jan 2003:  HOSEF is incorporated as a 501(c)(3), Warren is chair for
the first two months
early 2004:   Scott Belford "Founder/Chair/Treasurer" http://
lists.hosef.org/pipermail/hosef-announce/2004q1/000029.html
pipermail/hosef-announce/2004q1/000030.html
Aug 2004: HOSEF re-organized to have "directors at large" http://
lists.hosef.org/pipermail/hosef-announce/2004q3/000032.html

Granted, Scott was very, very involved, but he didn't act alone.   I
think this says a lot about his style of leadership.  (Its a good
thing.)

Scott Belford says, "LUAU is your LUG" http://lists.hosef.org/
pipermail/luau/2004-August/015595.html

In fact, a complete answer to this thread is contained in that one post.

Oh, and don't think that I always agree with Scott, either:

Gag me: http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2003-March/012765.html