[LUAU] RSync help

James Handsel jhandsel at lava.net
Wed Jan 26 16:29:08 PST 2011

> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:40:14 -1000
> From: Vince Hoang<vince at litrium.com>
> To: LUAU<luau at lists.freesoftwarehawaii.org>
> Subject: Re: [LUAU] RSync help
> Rsyncd runs as nobody by default to reduce the odds of you exposing
> sensitives to the world. If you want to write your own script, I'd suggest
> disabling rsyncd and try to stuff all your options into the shell script.
> You should be able to read all files as root.
>
>   -Vince

Vince,

I'm syncing daily activity from the office server to a remote server,
and then running the backup on the remote server.  But the fact that
rsync runs as "nobody" on the office server creates issues syncing files
that "nobody" doesn't have permission to access.  All the doc's I've
read seem to suggest that rsync can be run via ssh as root, but I'm
clearly missing something.  Is it your experience that rsync will always
run as "nobody"? and does it make any difference if rsync is pushing or
pulling the data?

Jim