[LUAU] RSync help

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Tue Jan 25 15:40:14 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM, James Handsel <jhandsel at lava.net> wrote:

> Sorry for the slow follow up, here are all the relevant files . . .
>
> There's a fair amount of extraneous info, but I left everything intact, in
> case it comes into play.

For complex backups, rather than write your own script, you might want to
try these tools instead:

  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

Right now my big question is why does rsync run as "nobody" on the (office)
> server I am pulling the sync from.  Also, ANY pointers for increasing
> efficiency or eloquence would be welcome.

Rsyncd runs as nobody by default to reduce the odds of you exposing
sensitives to the world. If you want to write your own script, I'd suggest
disabling rsyncd and try to stuff all your options into the shell script.
You should be able to read all files as root.

 -Vince