[LUAU] RSync help

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Wed Jan 26 19:24:27 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM, James Handsel <jhandsel at lava.net> wrote:

> I'm syncing daily activity from the office server to a remote server, and
> then running the backup on the remote server.  But the fact that rsync runs
> as "nobody" on the office server creates issues syncing files that "nobody"
> doesn't have permission to access.  All the doc's I've read seem to suggest
> that rsync can be run via ssh as root, but I'm clearly missing something.
>  Is it your experience that rsync will always run as "nobody"? and does it
> make any difference if rsync is pushing or pulling the data?

The errors are in your rsyncd.conf. Remove it and try to backup from only
the command line, then put that in your scripts.

Here's an example that works with [recent versions] of rsync. It autodetects
that SSH is needed:

rsync -a root at remoteserver:/opt/ /backup/opt/

If you run that as root, then the UID/GID for the remote files will be
preserved. If you run as a non-root user, you still can read as root, but
you write out files as the local backup user.

Should that fail, increase your verbosity:

rsync -av --progress -e "ssh -v" root at remoteserver:/opt/ /backup/opt/

-Vince