[LUAU] Add dhcp wlan on existing static lan

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Sun Feb 13 14:23:19 PST 2011

Jason Axelson wrote:
> Jon, wouldn't that count as a separate LAN? What I've done in the past
> is to use a dd-wrt capable router and set it to bridging mode so it
> forwards requests on to the router on the main LAN. That would allow
> you to set static IP's for the computers on wireless. Of course that
> isn't exactly what Al asked for.
>
> Jason
>
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Jon Reynolds <jonr at destar.net> wrote:
>> Hi Al,
>>
>> Give the wireless AP a static IP and create a scope that doesn't interfere
>> with what you are using for your desktops. So if your desktops are all in
>> the 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.120 range set the dhcp server to only give out
>> addresses that are not in that range. A better idea might be to use vlans so
>> that when a laptop does come on to your network, if it is compromised or
>> infected, it will not be able to infect the rest of your network.
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> On Feb 13, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Al Plant <noc at hdk5.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Aloha,
>>>
>>> I want to add a dhcp NetGear WPN824v3 wireless leg for 2 laptops (1 MS7
>>> and 1 Ubuntu Linux) on my existing static IP lan  of 10 desktops and servers
>>> (all FreeBSD).
>>> I run fixed IP on both segments now using 192.168.1.x addresses but would
>>> like to have dhcp segment on the wireless side since the laptops have to be
>>> reconfigured every time they come back on my home/office lan.
>>>
>>> Has anyone on our list had experience with this or knows of a how-to?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> ~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
>>>  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
>>>  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
>>>  < email: noc at hdk5.net >
>>> "All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carrol

Aloha,

 > That would allow
 > you to set static IP's for the computers on wireless.

That is sort of what I have now. I want to make the wlan use DHCP to
hook onto these 2 laptops. By creating a vlan on the NetGear wireless
router like 192.168.1.100 /192.168.120 for instance.

I'm not sure of the way to do it on the NetGear wireless router. which
has 192.168.1.1 as its address on the wired lan