[LUAU] Add dhcp wlan on existing static lan

Jon jonr at destar.net
Sun Feb 13 14:55:16 PST 2011

> That is sort of what I have now. I want to make the wlan use DHCP to
> hook onto these 2 laptops. By creating a vlan on the NetGear wireless
> router like 192.168.1.100 /192.168.120 for instance.
>
> I'm not sure of the way to do it on the NetGear wireless router. which
> has 192.168.1.1 as its address on the wired lan

I am not quite sure what you are wanting Al. If you just want to be able
to have your laptops get an IP from DHCP then just setup a DHCP server
with your Netgear. If your workstations and servers already have a
static IP they will keep these even if there is a DHCP server on the
network. Static IPs trump DHCP so you don't have to worry about your
statically assigned systems getting a DHCP address.

Your router and/or switches would need to be vlan aware to create a
vlan. You could just create a separate network altogether, say
192.168.2.* and do as Jason suggested. Then use your router to allow
access between the two networks.

Hope that helps,

Jon