[LUAU] Hello - My Name is Scott

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Mar 27 01:16:23 PDT 2008

First, I am but one board member.  The following are my views, MOT
those of the board.  The board hasn't been able to meet and discuss
future directions because current events are taking precidence.

I have proposed (and the rest of the board has endorsed) the the first
step is to fill the empty board seats.

This is the only concrete action taken in recent weeks.  While many
view this as somehow kicking Scott out of HOSEF or stacking the board
to advance my agenda (accusations that I imagine Scott is quick to
support), such is not the case.

I view it as important that many heads are involved in a fundamental
change, such as what I've proposed.

Point in fact, in one of the messages I sent to hosef-managers (which
Scott chose to block) I invited Scott to "put himself on the list" of
candidates to fill the two empty board seats. Given his qualification
and history of servicet it is likely that I would vote to put him on
the board as well.

The other two board members can verify this if needed.

I don't think the current setup with the Executive Director is
working, nor is healthy for the organization.

I admire much about Scott, despite recent events, though I feel that
the friendship we've enjoyed may be beyond repair, and this is
discouraging.

You should know that I've made no move to remove Scott from HOSEF.

Also, anyone who thinks I've enjoyed the past couple weeks is mistaken.

I'll repeat what I said earlier; you can fix a watch by replacing its
parts, but replacing parts of HOSEF is unlikely to effect repair of
what ails it.

To that end, I have also proposed that the mission of HOSEF needs to
change away from its focus on ecycling and "charity" work.  I honestly
like the suggestions that the group focus more on business and I'd
like to add government to that suggestion.

I'm not excited at the though of a LUG, but some kind of local
'networking' would be great, as Hawaii doesn't seem to have much of
that.

I'd like to see more Solaris and BSD in the mix.  I'd like to reach
out to the Apple community (Jordan Hubbard is an acqaintence, and he
was spun up to speak at TPOSSCON/PFOSSCON this year, though that
didn't happen.)

I actually arranged for all three speakers for the last PFOSSCON.

After nearly 30 years in the Unix/Linux community, I probably know
others who would be willing to travel to Hawaii to speak.  Perhaps you
do too.

I'd like to reach out to honolulu-ciders, and the fledgling local
Ubuntu groups.  Some cross-polination could be interesting.

I'd like to approach Bishop Estate, OHA, and Kamehameha Schools about
restarting kuokoa, a proposed Hawaiian language Ubuntu distribution.
(I've been building contacts on this front for two years now.)

I'd like to see if we can't activate a bit more scientific computing
at UH. I'm aware of a few small clusters, but none of these seem to
reach the sophistication of the ones I've used on the mainland.

I'd be very interested in discussions and demonstrations of "greener"
computing, especially as it leverages the "open" nature of FOSS.  I
think it possible that computers that use less power could be better
for the environment than recycling existing machines, simply because
there wasn't much emphasis on power saving in earlier generation
chipsets, and we burn oil here for nearly every kilowatt, and will
continue to do so for many years.

I think recycling and HOSEF are not compatible.  Touching hardware
isn't scalable, making copies of software (distros, c++ source code,
bash and perl scripts, etc), is and is as well more appropriate for an
organization  of HOSEF's size and financial resources.

I'd like to sit on a board of equals, one that isn't constrained by or
subject to the force of one personality.  I'm not fond of cults, and
don't wish to spend my time or money on one. To be clear, I don't want
to be the cult leader, either.  I view the board seat I hold as being
of service to the organization and its membership.

I'd like to hear your ideas as well.

Again, I'm one person. I have no interest in advancing only my agenda.
It should be your group too.

That's about as much thumbing as I can stand (on the phone) for now.
Hopefully it can serve as a start of the type of discussion I'd like
to see.

Jim