[LUAU] Hello - My Name is HOSEF

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Thu Mar 27 01:59:39 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 22:16:23 Jim Thompson wrote:
> I don't think the current setup with the Executive Director is
> working, nor is healthy for the organization.

...and your proposed alternative is?

> I'll repeat what I said earlier; you can fix a watch by replacing its
>   parts, but replacing parts of HOSEF is unlikely to effect repair of
> what ails it.

what ails it? what is the proposed solution?

> To that end, I have also proposed that the mission of HOSEF needs to
>   change away from its focus on ecycling and "charity" work.  I
> honestly like the suggestions that the group focus more on business
> and I'd like to add government to that suggestion.

so, it sounds like what is needed is to recruit motivated people to
start-up those interests, which doesn't have to mean Scott stops doing
what he does, does it? I seem to recall some recent discussion about
law, lawyers, etc... but am at a loss to understand what the problem
is... HOSEF is a 501(c)3 corporation, and that as far as I know doesn't
prevent members/board from getting salaries/wages, only that the
corporation not be "for profit"... have I missed something?

> I'm not excited at the though of a LUG, but some kind of local
> 'networking' would be great, as Hawaii doesn't seem to have much of
> that.

so what do you propose beyond the HOSEF and LUAU mailing lists?

> I'd like to see more Solaris and BSD in the mix.  I'd like to reach
> out to the Apple community (Jordan Hubbard is an acqaintence, and he
>   was spun up to speak at TPOSSCON/PFOSSCON this year, though that
> didn't happen.)

So, education via conferences is good. or via websites... or...?

> I actually arranged for all three speakers for the last PFOSSCON.

Thank you!

> After nearly 30 years in the Unix/Linux community, I probably know
> others who would be willing to travel to Hawaii to speak.  Perhaps
> you   do too.

I've only been playing with UNIX for 26 years, but have lost contacts.
Isn't it interesting that *all* the FLOSS is based on UNIX?
MacOSuX, BSD, Linux... all be cousins. Meanwhile I'm playing with
setting up the KLH-10 emulator on Linux to run the Panda distro of
TOPS-20, which is now freely licensed for hobbyist use. Not quite
as FLOSSy as *NIX (no commercial use), but interesting nevertheless.
Many of the ideas embodied in *NIX came from PDP-10/TOPS-[12]0/TENEX,
and there is actually some current development work for it (FTP).

> I'd like to reach out to honolulu-ciders, and the fledgling local
> Ubuntu groups.  Some cross-polination could be interesting.

Are there links to these on the HOSEF website?

> I'd like to approach Bishop Estate, OHA, and Kamehameha Schools about
>   restarting kuokoa, a proposed Hawaiian language Ubuntu
> distribution. (I've been building contacts on this front for two
> years now.)

Excellent! I understand that UH has done some work in the direction of
Hawaiian fonts. Aren't we still lacking an ISO code for O'lelo Hawai'i?
Meanwhile, don't leave out the Hawaiian Charter Schools or Immersion
Schools.

> I'd like to see if we can't activate a bit more scientific computing
>   at UH. I'm aware of a few small clusters, but none of these seem to
> reach the sophistication of the ones I've used on the mainland.

Does the Maui SuperComputer Center have any spare CPU cycles to donate?
Is it time for grid computing at UH to crunch science during off hours?

> I'd be very interested in discussions and demonstrations of "greener"
>   computing, especially as it leverages the "open" nature of FOSS.  I
> think it possible that computers that use less power could be better
> for the environment than recycling existing machines, simply because
> there wasn't much emphasis on power saving in earlier generation
> chipsets, and we burn oil here for nearly every kilowatt, and will
> continue to do so for many years.

Excellent! But I thought you wanted to get away from hardware?

> I think recycling and HOSEF are not compatible.  Touching hardware
> isn't scalable, making copies of software (distros, c++ source code,
>   bash and perl scripts, etc), is and is as well more appropriate for
> an organization  of HOSEF's size and financial resources.

...but is HOSEF necessary for that? anyone can download an .iso of a
variety of Solaris, BSD, or Linux distros and burn them to a CD or
DVD... and HOSEF/UH used to have an ftp server to download from, but
even lacking a local server, what's the need for that? Actually,
downloading and burning an .iso to optical media is trivial even for a
Windblows user, the challenging part is doing the install of FLOSS from
the optical media onto their computer, backing-up their data first, and
now you're back into non-scalable support of individual computers
(hardware), and trying to educate users (the alleged agenda of HOSEF).
So, if HOSEF doesn't shuffle hardware, then the next best thing is
InstallFests?

> I'd like to sit on a board of equals, one that isn't constrained by
> or   subject to the force of one personality.  I'm not fond of cults,
> and don't wish to spend my time or money on one. To be clear, I don't
> want to be the cult leader, either.  I view the board seat I hold as
> being of service to the organization and its membership.

Members? HOSEF has members? what does that mean?
One doesn't have to be a member to subscribe to the mailing list, right?
So what does membership bring beyond the mailing list? Benefits?
Obligations?

> Jim

Thank you Jim, for taking the initiative to start-up some new energies
for moving HOSEF in new directions. But, is it necessary to shut down
old directions at the same time? Legally? Financially? Operationally?
Is it time to share why and how the board came to its' conclusions?

Aloha, Angela Kahealani

--
"(I'll) Be Seeing You..."    All information and transactions are
private between the parties, and are non negotiable.   All rights