[LUAU] eWaste Legislation, ecycling, and You

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Mar 7 14:41:54 PST 2008

Aloha

Thanks for taking the time to reply and to provide some opinion and
insight on the matter.  I removed the HOSEF-announce list in this reply
only because we try to keep it announce focused only.  With respect to
LUAU, I'll keep this reply pretty tidy and encourage those interested in
the bigger discussion of HOSEF to join us on hosef-managers at
lists.hosef.org.

HOSEF, its vision, name, purpose, and early planning were born on LUAU
as a public entity.  We achieved 501(c)(3) exemption because we defined
certain exempt purposes for which we would operate, literally, right
down to what percentage of our time we would be engaged in those
activities.  It was at that point that we set out to see HOSEF fulfill
these exempt purposes or cease to exist.

Life Cycle of a Public Charity - Jeopardizing Exemption

http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=123299,00.html

I have been faulted by many these last 6 years for being too focused on
the hardware.  This is hardly the first time that someone has gotten
involved and said 'gee, that's a lot of metal you are moving, let's quit
that.'  It's a natural reaction, and I take responsibility for not being
more explicit that it is simply my legal duty to adhere to the
guidelines under which the IRS allowed us to organize.  I am a bit like
a mule when it comes to grinding out duty, and I do my best to have fun
with it.

There is no question that we need opportunities for people to get
involved with FOSS in Hawaii without even knowing the name of HOSEF.  To
that end I'll be following this email with some news about moving LUAU
and the need for some leadership from one of you in the new Ubuntu LoCo
that has fallen into our lap.  I encourage anyone to do anything they
want to promote and sustain the use of FOSS, and I'll help with all my
heart.

HOSEF has a legally defined mission to promote and sustain the use of
FOSS by advocacy, outreach, and the use of previously discarded
hardware.  If we don't do this, we don't exist.  There's a lot of good
we accomplish and projects that we have initiated.  I respect that it is
not what everyone wants to do.  As long as it is around, though, the
world is better served when people help, volunteer, become members,
serve as Directors, and share in an understanding of why we exist in the
first place. There is so much good to be done with aloha, collaboration,
and building rather than destroying.

Other than imploring LUAU now and perhaps on rare other occasions about
ways to get involved, I'll trust that if any of HOSEF matters to you
then you'll subscribe to one of our mailing lists at lists.hosef.org

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford