[LUAU] Great UH Opportunity with FOSS and MIS Underpinnings

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Mar 6 15:59:42 PST 2008

Aloha

A very nice email has come our way respectfully requesting that this
community know more about a good job opportunity at UH.  It seems that
LUAU is the appropriate list for this.  Apparently the job description
does not do the fun of the job any justice, so the following is a
verbatim statement from this future employees' supervisor:

> The job description is long (http://workatuh.hawaii.edu/zoom_job.php?9167) but it really boils down to working with systems that have web front ends, MySQL or similar base, and some combination of mostly open source application programs in between. Advantages that might outweigh the not-so-great salary are the free tuition for classes at UH and of course the generous holiday, vacation and sick leave. Also my department allows flex scheduling, some work from home, doesn't make anyone work swing shifts. The job has the potential to be very diverse and could give someone a range of practical experience. How to reach the new grads, or those with aptitude with a certain level of geekiness, who might be thinking about going back to grad school?  Specifically we are currently using Plone/Zope, dSpace (from MIT), Streetprint (a canadian digital collection management system) and Geoserver, the servers are almost all Linux of some flavor, we use Apache Tomcat.  The job can have a lot
 of variety and even be "fun" but there's no way to convey that to the right people within the structure of the official job description.  If you could spread the word, that would be great.  The deadline for applications is March 20.

--scott