[LUAU] eWaste Legislation, ecycling, and You

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Mar 3 14:48:11 PST 2008

Scott,

With respect, I submit that HOSEF (as a board and membership) should
consider exiting the "eWaste" business, re-writing the governance
documents as needed to effect this change.  As an "Open Source
Education Foundation", HOSEF's mission should be advocacy and
awareness, not entitlement or the environment.  While HOSEF has
traditionally had a foot in both waters, the time may have come for
HOSEF to "spin off" the eWaste side of things into a new, purpose-
driven entity, with all its wood behind one arrowhead.   In this
manner, both can proceed forward.

I have grave concerns that should HB 2509 and SB 2843 pass, and be
signed into law, that HOSEF could fall afoul of the "manufacturer"
designation, and most certainly be a "retailer", (you've already
arranged for storefront), and thus be "on the hook" for paying the
"fees" associated with these bills.    Cheap PCs?  Fugetaboutit.

California's equivalent law is structured such that the manufacturer
and consumer bear the fees, and doesn't make a hobbyist, building a
few computers in his basement for family and friends subject to an
annual $5,000 fee.   Consider the impact on the small and medium
business were all 50 states to pass a law like that proposed in
Hawaii.   Such an entity would end up paying $250,000 per year just to
be in business.

SB 2843 and HB 2509 *CAN'T* pass if Hawaii is to have a hi-tech
industry.   Their combined weight, as law, would bomb the struggling
computer industry in Hawaii back to the stone age.

Also, a newer PC may end up doing far less harm *long-term* to the
environment, never mind the new 'lead-free' stuff, it may end up using
far less power than the P4 you've got vibrating in the corner.
Anyone up for a head-to-head PowerTop <http://opensolaris.org/os/project/tesla/Work/Powertop/
 > cage bout? My 'new' (last year's) Linux deskside is down to 18 or
so wakeups/s when idle. But I'm still dorking around with the
kernel .config so that number might move by the time I have things the
way I want them. Lots of time in deep C states, and the CPU area is
cool to the touch.

And who else finds it curious that Digital TV becomes mandatory
February 17, 2009, and this law will have come into effect?   Seems
like a "cash grab" to me.  Want a new TV?  They're far more expensive
in Hawaii, and not just due to shipping!  Moreover, it does *nothing*
to reduce the incredible number of TVs that will end up in the
landfill(s) as people "turn over" with the DTV transition.

All, please call your senator and representative and express a "No
Way!" on these bills.

To be clear, I think the goal of reducing eWaste covered by SB 2843
and HB 2509 is worthy, but the structure of both bills is a long way
from a solution that is good for Hawaii.

Jim