[LUAU] eWaste Legislation, ecycling, and You

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sun Mar 2 12:40:44 PST 2008

Aloha

I believe that everyone on these mailing lists understands that we have
tried to facilitate and foster the development of FOSS by building
learning opportunities around discarded computers.  There are more
people than I can remember these last 6 years who have had the chance to
learn or to do something otherwise impossible because of our work.  All
in all I would say that HOSEF has done pretty well at catalyzing the
adoption and awareness of FOSS.

Our mission is fulfilled and our tax-exemption maintained by repurposing
discarded computers in order to promote and sustain Free and Open Source
Software.  We cannot quantify the value of this amazing sandbox of
donated hardware available for R&D and learning.  However, the work of
moving metal can become a mission in itself, and it has arguably slowed
the work of sustaining FOSS because we spend so much time promoting.

It is with these thoughts in mind, and the emerging trend of
eco-friendly, low cost computers, that the legislation I reference below
is rather timely.  It essentially shifts the cost burden of ewaste
recycling to the manufacturers.  I wish we had considered this in 2000.

My gut feeling about this is that it seems a bit tragic because the
getting is good now when it comes to 'old' computers and precious
resource markets.  The average donation to HOSEF is a high-end PIII, and
lately we seem to get more P4s and LCD monitors than I have counted.  We
have begun requiring a donation for computers, and we have a growing
collection of volunteers on our donation mailing list who take care of
pickups.

I've alluded to, and have just been a bit overwhelmed trying to
implement, a process to give pre-installed computers, firewalls, and
servers as gifts for certain membership levels.  I am all but certain
that there will be a steady flow of people willing to join HOSEF at a
$50, $100, or higher level if we provide a gift of a computer, class,
and even delivery.  What will happen if this proves to be as beneficial
to Hawaii as I conceive, but we lose our supply of P4s, Dual Cores, and
more?

Contrarily, what happens when the growing number of ePC's drops the
average price to less than $100?  Obviously there is still a world of
difference, when you have next to nothing, between a $50 and $100
expense for technology, but the cost of electricity for a CRT is a
factor.  It is a great time to try to jumpstart innovation, hope, and
opportunity with technology.

Language is just words, and Legislation is a function of how we
interpret these words.  My reading of these bills is that processing
computers, which is part of the definition of recycling, allows entities
like HOSEF to still reuse good computers.  If you take a look at the
recyclers who stepped in when we stopped taking so many computers in
2005, you will appreciate the hundreds of thousands of dollars in
funding we lost and that could have been used for the charity.

All in all it does ask a bigger question for anyone looking for work and
money - why aren't we separating the metal and circuit boards (treated
as sheet metal by the EPA), the plastics, and the copper CRT yokes for
after markets that pay money for them?  The lead infused glass of the
CRT must still be processed as a toxic material, but the rest of these
components have a growing value to industrialized and developing
economies.  Handling the world's ewaste is not HOSEF's problem, but
seeing great learning opportunities and valuable resourced discarded is
arguably a concern.

HB 2509

RSS Feed

feed://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/rss/HB2509.xml

Text

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/Bills/HB2509_.htm

Status

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/docs/getstatus2.asp?billno=HB2509

SB 2843

Text

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/Bills/SB2843_SD2_.htm

Status

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/docs/getstatus2.asp?billno=SB2843

RSS

feed://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/rss/SB2843.xml

Have you Joined HOSEF and become a member?

http://www.hosef.org/civicspace/membership

(please note that the site will be intermittently down 3-1 and 3-8
because our esteemed hosts at UH are getting electrical upgrades)

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Executive Director
scott at hosef.org

HOSEF is a charitable non-profit with a mission to promote Free and Open
Source Software by building learning opportunities around previously
discarded but still functional computers.  We appreciate the time you
have taken to reach out to us. Beginning in 2008 we have to strongly
encourage kind contributors like yourself to make a donation with your
equipment.  This enables us to put computers in parks, schools,
community centers, developing countries, and the hands of children
needing them the most.

If you have questions, please contact us at donations at hosef.org

The current suggested schedule for donations is:

PCs and laptops P4 and faster	Free
PCs and laptops PII and faster	$10
G3 iMacs/books and faster	$10
17' monitors and larger		$10
Additional Keyboards		$1
Additional Mice			$1
Scanners			$5
Inkjet Printers			$10
Laser Printers < 25 lbs		$20
Laser Printers > 25 lbs		$40
Servers, Sun equipment		contact us
Non-functional equipment	$.75/lb.

If you are requesting a pickup, please give us your address, times of
availability, and, if you intend to leave the equipment for us, the form
of payment.  Dropoffs are available if arrangements are made in advance.