[LUAU] headless fedora

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Sun Oct 21 20:39:46 PDT 2007

Mahalo everyone for the helpful suggestions. But I'm still not clear
on what area of expertise I should be polishing here - init, X, bios?
Headless servers are probably more standard than headly ones, is it
really so simple that no one has bothered to write a specific howto? I
must be missing something big.

> Turn off gdm, xdm or kdm service

Hmm, they're not really services, are they? At least, don't show up in
/etc/rc.d or chkconfig --list. Could it be this entry in /etc/inittab?

grep dm /etc/inittab
# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Yeah, apparently so:
 ps -ef|grep -e 2654 -e 2638
root      2638     1  0 00:19 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh
/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
root      2654  2638  0 00:19 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
root      2730  2654  0 00:19 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon

So I just comment out that line in inittab (to prevent gdm-binary from
getting started)?

Then, since I am rather lazy, I am hoping sshd will come up and I
won't really have to struggle with the serial port stuff. At least,
not right away.

Dave