[LUAU] Its time to simply ban Windoze machines from the Internet

HawaiiDakine.com webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Thu Oct 19 10:44:41 PDT 2006

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2006, at 8:19 PM, Tim Newsham wrote:
>
>>> Its not that simple.   Windows boxes are a heckuva lot easier to
>>> populate with the software that creates botnets.   They're an open
>>> infection vector.
>>

>> I don't agree at all.  There are sufficient server and client
>> vulnerabilities in *BSD, linux, OS X and windows.  Many of the
>> attacks don't even rely on any software vulnerability but on the  poor
>> judgement and bad practices of end users.  These same problems  exist
>> in the unix population.  The software for all aspects of a  the
>> malware would be substantially similar across all existing  popular
>> platforms.  The only major differentiator is the return on
>> investment.  Writing attacks for windows makes more economical  sense
>> for attackers.
>

> Please.   Windows is *full* of holes, and by default, it essentially
> runs as "root" (or the Windows equivalent).
>
> (Just like Linspire, which sucks too.)
>
> I've had linux machines on the wide-open net for years with nary an
> issue (save a RedHat machine in 1999 or so that got rooted when it  was
> sitting in my home at the end of a T1 line.)
>
> Go ahead, put your XP machine up on a raw, unfiltered IP connection.
> See how long it lasts.
>
> jim

Aloha!

I have noted that working with the on-line  FreeBSD community that there
are many people around the world  using and watching the system. If
there are  faults and holes discovered by gurus or newbies they are
quickly eliminated as soon as they have been identified.  I think the
diversity of the users and developers of the open source OS will keep it
ahead of a closed system.

Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii

  -- Webmaster- http://hawaiidakine.com ~ Admin- http://freebsdinfo.org ~
- noc at hdk5.net  - Supporting Open Source Computing - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.*
"All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carroll