[LUAU] Its time to simply ban Windoze machines from the Internet

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Thu Oct 19 16:11:14 PDT 2006

> If your point is that stupidity will dominate, so people will install malware
> no matter what kind of OS you've provided, then there is no solution short of
> "welding the hood shut".  NO USER-SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE.
>
> Was that your point?
>
> If so, we need a new sign:  "You must be at least this smart to take this
> ride."

Well, sort of.  I think there's a huge problem that has a small
technological aspect to it (we can make it easier for people to know the
difference between a good choice and a bad choice) but a much larger
educational aspect to it (if people knew what bad choices were presented
to them and why they were a bad choice, more people would avoid making bad
choices.  Not everyone is stupid, some people are just not in posession of
the right information).

I would never suggest that only well trained people should be on the
internet.  The risk is simply miniscule compared to the net benefit.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/