[LUAU] My experience with using Fedora Core 6 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook

Peter Besenbruch prb at lava.net
Mon Nov 13 10:01:32 PST 2006

Julian Yap wrote:

> Does using the standard kernel break stuff?  Or do things (such as
> wireless cards) not work it because it doesn't include non-free or
> binary only drivers?

I never got to try wireless networking on the standard Fedora kernel,
because access to the buttons that turned it on or off broke.
Hibernation also broke, so did some aspects of ACPI.

The laptop from rCubed was made by Asus. In general, I like it, because
rCubed got everything to work (under Gnome, not so much with KDE). You
simply turn it on, create a user, and change the standard root password.
There was noting to install or troubleshoot.

>> My other machines, including laptops use Kanotix. Debian's apt is so
>> much faster than Yum, it isn't funny.
>
> Yum in FC6 is noticeably faster.  For FC <=5 Yum was totally written in
> Python, so for FC6, some functions were re-written in C.

That would help some. Still, does it have to spend so much time grabbing
headers?

> Yum at times can give the impression that it's slower as it randomly
> picks an official mirror to download from.  Sometimes you get a slow
> mirror...  But you can change that for instance by installing
> 'yum-fastestmirror'.

I'll look into that.

> Mostly Yum and Apt give the same result.  They just have different
> approaches...  So I doubt Yum will reach the 'speed' of Apt because of
> how Yum and RPM headers are implemented.

Like I was saying.

> The biggest issue I've heard about Apt is that it can't handle
> multi-architecture packages as well as Yum but I'm not too sure:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/190671/

Ironic, as Debian is known for its multiple architecture support, and
Fedora isn't.
--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky