[LUAU] My experience with using Fedora Core 6 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 00:53:48 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 19:43 -1000, Peter Besenbruch wrote:
> >> The link doesn't work.
>
> > Try this one instead:
> > http://julianyap.com/wiki/Fedora_Core_6_%22Zod%22_on_a_Dell_Inspiron_6000_notebook
>
> I went to the site and did a search for Fedora. I got a laptop from
> rCubed with Fedora 5 installed. All buttons work, and so does
> hibernation. Networking is nicely automated. I understand they did a lot
> of kernel patching to get things to work. Using a standard Fedora kernel
> breaks a lot of stuff.

Does using the standard kernel break stuff?  Or do things (such as
wireless cards) not work it because it doesn't include non-free or
binary only drivers?

> My other machines, including laptops use Kanotix. Debian's apt is so
> much faster than Yum, it isn't funny.

Yum in FC6 is noticeably faster.  For FC <=5 Yum was totally written in
Python, so for FC6, some functions were re-written in C.

Yum at times can give the impression that it's slower as it randomly
picks an official mirror to download from.  Sometimes you get a slow
mirror...  But you can change that for instance by installing
'yum-fastestmirror'.

Mostly Yum and Apt give the same result.  They just have different
approaches...  So I doubt Yum will reach the 'speed' of Apt because of
how Yum and RPM headers are implemented.

The biggest issue I've heard about Apt is that it can't handle
multi-architecture packages as well as Yum but I'm not too sure:
http://lwn.net/Articles/190671/

~ Julian