[LUAU] My experience with using Fedora Core 6 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Sun Nov 12 20:53:03 PST 2006

Julian Yap wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A quick search found few notebook write ups about FC6 so I though I'd
> post my review.
>
> Link:
> http://julianyap.com/wiki/Fedora_Core_6_"Zod"_on_a_Dell_Inspiron_6000_notebook
>
> Overall I am more that satisfied with Fedora Core 6 on my notebook.
> Previously I ran and used (not just installed for the fun of it) FC5,
> Ubuntu 6.06 and 5.10.
>
> FC6 is rock solid and the AIGLX/Compiz integration is awesome.  Ubuntu
> always felt more flaky on my notebook.
>
> ~ Julian
>
> PS.  PFOSSCON 2007 is coming...

FC6 works very nicely, one of the main reasons is that it is the only
major distro that uses the 2.6.18 kernel.  In fact it is the only distro
that works well with nVidia's newest nforce 570/590 chipsets if you have
a Windows/Linux dual boot (or for my case, Windows/Linux/Solaris
triple-boot) system.  SuSE 10.2 "final" is coming out anytime now.  Many
will find it more polished than FC6.  (& in a few months FC7 will be
even better than SuSE 10.2, and so far so forth . . .)

For whatever reasons, FC6 installation does not include kernel headers.
A quick & dirty yum install will install the wrong kernel headers.  Do a
uname -r before you manually install the headers from a Fedora Core
ftp.  Then the config.h header file is deprecated.  If your work depends
on VMWare, make sure you do a thorough googling b/f deciding whether to
do the upgrade.  But overall, Fedora Core 6 is a very polished distro;
it is fast, and is highly recommended.

Ubuntu always makes a very appealing initial impression, but, as I
mentioned previously, it requires a lot of customizations.  For
sophisticated home users who have a large size LCD/plasma HDTV, the most
interesting distro is probably KnoppMyth-based Debian.  Wayne