[LUAU] Apache Virtual Hosts

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Mon May 8 14:46:31 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 11:28:31AM -0700, Julian Yap wrote:
> A work around could be to install Linux as the operating
> system. Not that I'm biased but I've never had any issue with
> setting up VirtualHosts on Apache 2.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/vhosts/name-based.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

If you disregard the pre-fork/thread differences, the
configurations should be essentially the same.

> I've heard that FreeBSD is a lot more difficult in setting up
> when it comes to any web stack.

Apache is really platform-agnostic, see sample snippets for
Debian, FreeBSD, and Windows:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/virtualhosts.php
http://www.apptools.com/phptools/virtualhost.php

The only issue with FreeBSD that I am aware of is trying to use
java in the web stack, due to licensing issues. You can download
the JDK for FreeBSD again, but running java on FreeBSD seems to
be a huge liability until Sun decides to switch to an open-source
friendly license for java.

> Hence the acronym LAMP which you can setup out of the box with
> Linux.

This is unfortunate marketing that does not scale. Forget being a
LAMR, get PAID instead!

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2001/02/on_blarmpppp.html
http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/05/07/Ruby-DB2-now-with-Viper-support
http://trainedmonkey.com/2006/5/4/acronyms