[LUAU] Apache Virtual Hosts

Clifton Royston cliftonr at iandicomputing.com
Mon May 8 12:20:42 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:04:58AM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> to the box) and I can get only the first domain in the three in the
> setup I am trying to come up. (moving any of the three to that position
> works.) I read all the docs I could find and can only find some vague
> info that a box running FreeBSD accessed by ssh wont allow virtual
> hosts.

  No, whereever you found this, it is pure nonsense.  Pretty much any
box you'll find around these days is accessed by ssh, and FreeBSD
remains a popular hosting choice for large-scale web hosting.

> If this is true is there a work around?

  No workaround is needed.

> Any body know how I can find a how-to on this?

  Just look for standard Apache configuration how-tos; they should all
apply to FreeBSD installations too.

  As to your specific problem - only one virtual server is apparent - I
have run into this kind of configuration problem myself last year when
setting up a server, but I no longer remember precisely what I did to
fix it.

  The general issue I was having, and that it sounds like you might be
having, was that the first server was set up as a "default" to be used
for an unrecognized host, but with a port/listen spec that was too
broad and matched every connection to the server.  Start by eliminating
any default server, and use a configuration which requires each virtual
server to match a specific hostname. (Mosaic or Netscape 1.1 clients
won't work with this, boo-hoo!) This will let you figure out what
you're doing wrong, and once that's fixed you can go back and
reconfigure some server configuration you want to be the server
default.

HTH,
  -- Clfiton

--