[LUAU] LTSP thin client knoppix variant idea?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 16:11:38 PST 2006

Hi Dave,

I'm not LTSP guru just yet so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

An option you have if you don't want to add a Boot ROM to the
NIC or use a PXE NIC is to use a boot floppy.  Most old machines
you are talking about would come with a floppy drive.

A pre-existing floppy drive and a pre-existing network card is
cheaper than a new CDROM/PXE NIC.

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.hosef.org/gallery2/v/exhibitions/dscf0253.jpg.html

With some instructions:
http://www.hosef.org/wiki/Testing_the_client_--_preparing_a_boot_floppy
http://www.hosef.org/wiki/CreateEtherBootDisk

So yes.  I'm not sure if you've considered that option. :P

Mahalo,
Julian