[LUAU] LSTP thin client knoppix variant idea?

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 22 15:16:02 PST 2006

Good point, but the LSTP stuff has to work with older hardware, I'm not sure
we're improving things if we use up 700MB of RAM with disk image.

The reason this idea appealed to me was that a while back PXE NICs weren't
all that common so when we were setting up a lab we had to put in several
new NICs. A CD is cheaper than a NIC, but a CD drive is not. But lots of the
out-tossed computers we were looking at had CD drives already. Not so many
had 1GB+ of RAM.

I guess if all you want to do is run a thin client with a cheap NIC, you
could use the CD (or memory stick) just to boot & then act like the other
net-booted clients. No big advantage, but a little extra flexibility (at the
cost of extra complexity).

Dave