[LUAU] Pics and news about the mythtv build

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Fri Mar 17 13:25:28 PST 2006

Jon Reynolds wrote:
> Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
>
>>> The output quality on the 350 is very good for SDTV, but beware: With
>>> the 350 it will be difficult or impossible to get BIOS/bootup messages
>>> and to play back any video not captured by the 350 (or in standard SD
>>> MPEG-2).
>>>
>>> This means no HD, no Divx, no Xvid, no MPEG-4 of any kind, etc.
>>>
>>> If you're only planning on playing back SDTV that you capture, the 350
>>> will do nicely. If you care about transcoding, DVD archiving, etc, the
>>> 350 will probably disappoint you.
>>>
>>> Most likely you'd be better off going out through an nvidia card (gf4
>>> / fx). You should be able to get one for $50-$60 that has a heatsink
>>> (rather than a fan) and outputs through DVI and S-video as well as VGA
>
> Wayne,
>
> Where did you find that statement? Do you have the link still or
> remember the date of the post? I thought I had heard talk on the list
> about this becoming a non-issue. I will post the question back to the
> list and ask again because I need to make sure that the epia boards
> won't have the same problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

The original post:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-March/128637.html

Then, a reply comment:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-March/128644.html

"I posted recently on using my PVR-350 again after using Nvidia for a while.  I
had said that the 350 displayed a perfect interlaced picture, while using the
framebuffer/Xv, not using the hardware decoder.  Also, CPU usage was only
around 20-25% on the Celeron 1.3GHz that I had it in while playing back a
recording.  Therefore, it will be able to play any video format just fine,
including Divx, Xvid, etc.  The Xv driver for it has come a long way and
really performs remarkably well now.  Thanks to John Harvey for that one!"

Please keep us aposted of your progress.  We need to share our knowledge/experience.
This is the only way we can survive on the islands.  Wayne