[LUAU] Ubuntu... Legalities

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Jun 6 18:42:20 PDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Maddog wrote:

> I'm not talking about putting a Linksys et. al, AP in you hotel
> hallway, I am talking about a commercial Wi-Fi deployment. You are
> not going to deploy that crappy equipment in Waikiki and expect not
> to be over run by the guys already there using much more powerful
> equipment.

I have equipment deployed in Waikiki.  Really.  (I'm not the
provider, but we did sell the gear.)

> C'mon Jim. We are going to be on opposite sides of this discussion
> forever so let's just agree to disagree. As long as you have
> hardheaded, old boys running the hotels there is no way you are
> going to have free wireless in Waikiki. I have been here for 15
> years and nothing has changed that would make hotel execs see the
> light. If something is sold on your wireless AP they want a cut. As
> recently as last week Friday that was the case.

And it will change.   I've been doing hotel WiFi in various guises
since 1998.   Wayport had over 1,000 hotels when I left.   It will
change in Hawaii slower than elsewhere because there is no business
requirement driving the hotels here.  Hawaii is a resort
destination.  People come here to play.  That said, even Disney's
hotels are going free wireless.

> If you don't believe me talk to Gordon Bruce. He'll tell you of the
> countless headaches and bickering he has endured from all the
> players about how they are going to get their cut of the rev-share
> pie. It is just not realistic to think it will ever happen here.

Since anyone can put up the next AP, there is no business model
possible in outdoor WiFi.