[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

Maddog maddog at heavymetalradio.net
Tue Jan 31 07:53:42 PST 2006

With Hawaii being in the top 5 most expensive resort destinations and the
cost to get people and equipment and supplies here it becomes cost
prohibitive.

You can get a business rate room in Vegas for $40 a night. No income tax
also is a plus.

Orlando Hotels also have package rates that make it attractive and most of
the attendees come from the midwest or east coast so airfare is not
extremely expensive.

Hawaii has several problems as a destination and most are political. We are
in the top three in the U.S. for taxation and if the metrics truly measured
the effect of the pyramided tax system here we would be number one. Hence
the reason for paying $0.50+ more a gallon for gas (which is still a bargain
compared to bottled water) that our mainland counterparts and that is just
the cities used to calculate the gas cap. (note: there are many problems
here and this is just one example)

Jim made several interesting points but I disagree with his enthusiatic
claims about AD and Exchange going away any time soon and VoIP becoming so
prevelent for the simple fact that  organizations have committed lots of
dollars to those existing infrastructures. You would be hard pressed to
replace them for that alone. While the cost of FOSS may be zero dollars the
cost of hiring qualified personnel (to replace your existing Windows IT
staff or in addition too since there will be a transition period) and the
support dollars that it will cost also need to be added into the bottom
line. The transition period alone will double the cost of your IT
infrastructure spending for the time it takes to complete the transition.
( this is really a complicated subject with many more reasons why it doesn't
compute but this is the major reason). VoIP is gaining ground but for ten
years it has been the next killer app and still to date has not been widely
deployed. It is gaining ground, however.

The biggest problem seems to be the fragmentation within the local OSS/FOSS
community. That can be witnessed by this very flame fest and all of the
"bcc's" Jim referred to, not to mention the emails and phone calls in the
background.

In short a local focus as Matt and Clifton suggested with ties to the local
business community seems to have the best chance.

Flame retardant suit donned.
Don