[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

Matt Darnell mattdarnell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 00:23:58 PST 2006

On 1/29/06, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:

> Matt Darnell wrote:
> > On 1/29/06, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Novell *has* migrated their own stuff.  They address this subject well.
> >>   Rana Dutt definitely could have taught you a few things about big
> time
> >> VOIP deployments.  I fear, Matt, you are determined to stick to your
> >> opinion in spite of the facts.
> >

> > If by facts you mean ultimate truths, you might be right - 2+2=4....if
> by
> > facts you mean the common understanding, you could no be more wrong.  If
> you
> > were correct, every single person who heard about TCON would have crazy
> not
> > to attend.  All that knowledge, experience, and brain power in one
> place.
>
> I really don't follow this.  For the most part, people did not attend
> because of the time of year, time of week, and time of day.  Next year
> we will do this on Friday and Saturday.

I hope changing the day makes a big difference.

> > Most people believe that the first step to fixing a problem is
> identifying
> > it.  TCON's problem might only a be marketing and perception problem.
> > I believe (no facts to back this up, but as we determined earlier, that
> is
> > my style, I guess that is why I do so well business)
>
> What business is it that you do so well.

Telecommunications...I thought you knew that, perhaps you forgot in that
last 24 hours *please note my sarcasm*

  you think the local OSS
> > establishment let you down by not attending TCON.  You should be mad at
> the
> > California OSS groups for not attending.
>
> I am not mad at anyone for not attending.  I am frustrated with myself
> for not doing better.  If you wish to productively contribute, shall I
> add you to our planning list and invite you to meetings?  Will you be
> able to commit time?  Will you deliver on your commitment?
>
>    Ask yourself, why didn't they
> > come.  Same why I ask myself why didn't XYZ buy my product.  I see the
> value
> > of my product, they must be stupid.  If I continue to sell my product
> the
> > same way, who is being stupid, me or the customers that keep saying no?
>
> We had an outstanding first year and a strong second year.  Lots of
> things can be better, and they will be.  I have asked myself plenty,
> Matt, about what I could have done better.  Unlike most businesses, the
> successes, failures, and shortcomings of HOSEF remain in the open and
> pretty well documented on our hosef-managers list.
>

> > We are definitely interested in informed, pro-active, and *timely* help.
> >

> > You should have asked that question 10 months b4 TCON, not 10 days, that
> > would have been timley.
>
> Announcements about *TPOSSCON*, that is the name, Matt, not TCON*, were
> made here on LUAU and on hosef-managers far more than 10 days before the
> event.  I began asking those on hosef-managers for help a long time ago
> - where were you and all this know-it-all attitude when it was needed?

My first post was a culmination of 12 years of attending all sorts of
technical trade shows.  It is a shame it has come to this.

I am so very interested in informed feedback, but not when you state
> mis-truths and consider an "I told you so" or "You should have" to be
> professional or appropriate.

I wish everyone who will be involved with TPOSSCON in the future the best of
luck in the future.  I hope you find direction, leadership, purpose and most
of all attendees.

I am finshed responding to this thread.  If anyone wishes to 'get in the
last word' please feel free & reply.

If anyone wshes to discuss my opinions I would happy to chat on the phone or
in person.  There is no way a real time discussion would spiral out of
control like this.  356-0009

Aloha,
Matt