[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Jan 30 01:17:37 PST 2006

On Jan 29, 2006, at 10:23 PM, Matt Darnell wrote:

>> I really don't follow this.  For the most part, people did not attend
>> because of the time of year, time of week, and time of day.  Next
>> year
>> we will do this on Friday and Saturday.
>
> I hope changing the day makes a big difference.

We've had some feedback.  (I saw Scott ask people for it.)   Here is
what I remember of it:

1)  Don't count on people from off-island attending.   I believe that
TPOSSCON has been 'marketed' as "come to Hawaii, enjoy the beach,
learn some great stuff, hang out with cool people".   Based on what
I've seen over the last two years, and an earlier experience when the
IETF held a meeting in
Honolulu (1989), I don't believe that folks can "sell" their own
management on attending a technical conference in Hawaii.

Look at the attendance numbers for the 10th - 20th IETF meetings.

10: 112
11: 114
12: 120
13: 114
14: 217
15: 138 <--- Hawaii
16: 196
17: 244
18: 293
19: 292
20: 348

The most recent IETF meeting (#64) was held in Vancouver, and had
1238 attendees.  The record for attendance was #49, in Dec of 2000 in
San Diego (2810 attendees).

Another point.  I was the CTO and VP of Engineering for Wayport, one
of the first (and easily the most successful) of the "Hotel
Broadband" companies.    Wayport has very few "flags" (think pushpins
on a map with little flags attached) in Hawaii.   The same is true
for Wayport's competitor(s).  Very little call for "business
networking" in hotels in Hawaii.    Perhaps when people come here
they don't want to have to hassle with "work".

Now, the world is changing, (Hawaii with it), but things seem to
change more slowly here than on the mainland, and for different
reasons  Case in-point, the Road Runner commercial currently running
on TeeVee that shows a Braddah snoozing at his PowerBook, with the
sound of a modem trying to 'train' in the background.

Voiceover:  RR is faster!
Braddah: nearly no reaction
Voiceover: RR is always on!
Braddah: nearly no reaction
Voiceover: RR is cheaper!
Braddah:  No Can!
Voiceover: Can!

There is a lesson in there somewhere.    I posted a couple days ago
(with quotes from Ulysses) about what FOSS might mean to the people
of Hawaii, especially non-technical people.   If HOSEF is to be
successful (and TPOSSCON with it), then we must be able to address
the non "geeks" with something that they find interesting.

2)  Move the meeting toward the weekend, so more locals can come.
Rather than having to find a way off-work for 4 days, hold something
Th-Sa or Fri& Sat and more people will show.

3) Several people have suggested more focus on "whats happening now"
with FOSS in Hawaii.  A couple of us "heard" "theme", and I believe
that is the current direction.

Matt, there is still some mutual back-scratching required in our very
small community.   I've purposely not brought the CTO and/or VP of
Operations from <a VOIP company that we've all heard of> to speak at
TPOSSCON (they're both personal friends and I do the occasional
consulting gig for them) out of deference to you and your business.
It would be trivial to bring them though.

The CTO loves to dive, would love to work 2m over the ocean (he's a
fellow HAM), and I'm fairly sure that he would love love love to
visit the Subru telescope on Mona Kea.    The VP of Operations might
as well be the godchild of my son.

Perhaps I *should* bring them though.  You might get to ask
questions.  (<A VoIP company we've all heard of> runs on a 100% FOSS
structure, btw.  I'm currently involved in the beginnings of a
project to convert their call center (a few thousand workstations)
over to a custom linux distro.)

I think we need more effective *local* media awareness.

>> What business is it that you do so well.
>
> Telecommunications...I thought you knew that, perhaps you forgot in
> that
> last 24 hours *please note my sarcasm*

You're both being sarcastic, and while I am far more sarcastic then
either of you, I'm not being sarcastic when I say, "Its not helping".

>   you think the local OSS
>>> establishment let you down by not attending TCON.  You should be
>>> mad at
>> the
>>> California OSS groups for not attending.
>>
>> I am not mad at anyone for not attending.  I am frustrated with
>> myself
>> for not doing better.  If you wish to productively contribute,
>> shall I
>> add you to our planning list and invite you to meetings?  Will you be
>> able to commit time?  Will you deliver on your commitment?

Scott, getting Matt to publicly commit to something would be enough.
If he fails to follow through, it will be "in the public eye".  He
knows that, and as a businessman,

Matt also knows that the local FOSS community has helped him in a
number of ways, including his infrequent use of this list to get
questions answered.   This is fine (by me, anyway), because the
sharing is what FOSS is about.   Matt's requests for help (and
receiving it) are a perfect example of what works between the FOSS
community and "business".

I think Matt knows this too, which is why he could probably be called
upon to deliver something like a T1 to the HCC next year, so we can
have real networking.  (If we don't straighten out the situation at
the CC in the meantime.)

>> We had an outstanding first year and a strong second year.  Lots of
>> things can be better, and they will be.  I have asked myself plenty,
>> Matt, about what I could have done better.  Unlike most
>> businesses, the
>> successes, failures, and shortcomings of HOSEF remain in the open and
>> pretty well documented on our hosef-managers list.

>>> We are definitely interested in informed, pro-active, and
>>> *timely* help.
>>>

>>> You should have asked that question 10 months b4 TCON, not 10
>>> days, that
>>> would have been timley.
>>
>> Announcements about *TPOSSCON*, that is the name, Matt, not TCON*,
>> were
>> made here on LUAU and on hosef-managers far more than 10 days
>> before the
>> event.  I began asking those on hosef-managers for help a long
>> time ago
>> - where were you and all this know-it-all attitude when it was
>> needed?

Whats behind us doesn't matter, since it can't be changed.    What we
have *NOW* is a request for help (from Matt and many others) to help
shape the 2007 version of the conference to be way better.   Its also
a call for contributions.  Money, time, in-kind donations, etc.  And
its being made approximately 12 months before the next TPOSSCON.

So Matt (and Don, and everyone else), how about it?

> My first post was a culmination of 12 years of attending all sorts of
> technical trade shows.  It is a shame it has come to this.

Just because you two got into a spat doesn't mean it has to end.
Matt, if you do the "I'll take my ball and go home" move, I'm
disappointed.
Scott, you could take less offense.   Yes, there is a lot of "Monday
morning quarterbacking", but its fairly easy to turn that into
results that count for next year.

Allow me to tell a story.

Back when I was the hot-shit network (telecommunications and data
communications) stud at Sun Microsystems, (late 80s, and very early
90s), back
when a lot of people called me "Jim net.god Thompson", my new boss,
(I'd just been moved up), a very wise Indian gentleman, stopped me
during one of my weekly 1:1 rants.

"Jim", he said to me, "you always bring me problems, but never
solutions!"  (You have to imagine it with a thick Indian accent.)

I was, in a word, "enlightened".

Sam Rangole (for that was his name) had shined a perfect spotlight on
my misbehavior.   I was complaining about how stupid the other groups
were, how far they had to go, and how they were not going to reach
the goal anytime soon.   He didn't waste any breath giving me "yes
but", or "you should", he simply asked me to start bringing him
something he could use to do his job.:  Solutions (from an expert).

In my new state of enlightenment, I started working harder.  I would
see a problem, diagnose it, and never raise it to Sam's attention
without a suggested path forward.   The results were amazing, rather
than fear me, people I worked with started to seek me out.  "How can
I make this better?"  "Will you check my results?"  I was no longer
someone who would tear them down, but rather *could be counted on* to
make them look better.

So, everyone,  please bring forward solutions to the problems you pose.

Jim

p.s.  Matt, I'd still like to see what you think is wrong with
DUNDi.  (And perhaps how you think it can be fixed.)