[LUAU] Myth TV Thanks!

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Feb 27 15:30:08 PST 2006

Eric Hattemer wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>

>>>There was also talk of having a annual conference as a fundraser to highlight OSS in the community - j/k
>>>

>>I find your humor here derogatory in tone and tenor, and sarcastic at
>>best.  Perhaps I misinterpret, and you will clarify.  Interestingly the
>>record shows that you were involved with TPOSSCON 05.   Can it be true
>>that you now deride same?
>>

>>>You should come next build, you can ask the 'old-timers' - people over 30 about the good old days.
>>>

>>Matt, you can choose to either help build, or help tear things apart.
>>
>>I'll be 44 in May, what is your point?   Do you mean to insinuate that
>>because Julian is under 30, that he can't hope to understand your
>>politics?   That life really was better before he was born, when 1MB of
>>memory cost more than any of us made in a week?
>>
>>Because I'll back Julian in a Linux "bar fight".   I'll lay $500 that he
>>can out-code anyone in your company (I get to pick the language and
>>platform.)
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>_
>>

>Whoa, let's be cool, everyone.  I don't think I read anything negative
>in Matt's comments.  This was about history of the list, and I'm fairly
>sure that 'old-timers' are just people that can remember what the list
>was like back then.  I'm 23, but I can remember back to 99/2000.

I'm 43, and 99/2000 was a time of high-weirdness for me.  Dot-com
craziness.  There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not
across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Angeles . .
.   You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal
sense that whatever we were doing as right, that we were winning.

>I remember that this is exactly why we had two LUAUs.  I wasn't there for
>it, but I remember hearing rumors that the original LUAU fell apart
>because everyone fought all the time.  Warren kept the name, but made a
>point to say that it wouldn't be as ugly and mean-spirited as the end of
>the last group.  It almost got that way anyway in the first part of this
>century, because a couple of people resented Warren taking a lot of
>leadership in the group (saying it wasn't democratic enough).

And now it is entirely democratic.

>Now I imagine Scott would see some liability in throwing the HOSEF name
>around randomly at meetings and events that don't involve him.  You may
>be able to get the HOSEF organization to agree to and sponsor whatever
>events you are planning.  I'm guessing that funds are chartered more for
>school projects, but you'd have to ask the HOSEF organizers.

You'd want to ask the HOSEF membership, and by extension, the board.
There are currently four HOSEF board members.

>But since LUAU hasn't had a "real" meeting since Warren moved to New
>Hampshire, you can use that name and make meetings, and do what you
>like.  LUAU used to have meetings at Mid-Pacific Institute with pizza
>and talks about kernels and virtual machines and things like that.  It
>was at Mid-pac because Warren volunteered there.  He made a linux
>computer lab there.  Many of the MPLUG/LUAU (same group then, basically)
>got together to help build that lab.  People were bringing in computers
>and stuff like that.  As time went on, MPLUG/LUAU started working on
>other school labs.  This is where HOSEF basically came from.  So many of
>the main/active members were working on these things, that
>MPLUG/LUAU/HOSEF became somewhat synonymous.  This doesn't mean that
>just because some people are working on linux labs and the newer HOSEF
>school projects, that everyone has to stop holding meetings to talk
>about kernel developments and building telecom servers.
>
>Is the space at McKinley an option?  Is Scott willing to let people work
>on these things at his workshop area?

He's already said "yes", subject to the constraints that a) the space
costs money (someone tapped by DOE has to stay around with the keys) and
b) the primary use of the space on the days/times that HOSEF has
allocated (Saturday) are to teaching the classes.  Scott has asked that
the activities don't interfere with these.  I think thats appropriate
concerns.

But yes, the last time this came up (months ago) it was also about
MythTV.  (Check the archives.)

Jim