[LUAU] Myth TV Thanks!

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Feb 27 01:20:58 PST 2006

Matt Darnell wrote:

>On 2/26/06, Julian Yap <julian_yap at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 00:24 -1000, Matt Darnell wrote:
>>

>>>I thought interesting that no one knows why LUAU got rolled into HOSEF.
>>>Their goals are so different.
>>>

>>Matt,
>>I'm relatively new around here so I'm wondering what you mean by this?
>>
>>- Julian
>>

>Julian,
>
>Here is a summary of what people were talking about.
>
>Before HOSEF was created, before Luau, there was MPLUG.  Mid-Pacific Linux
>Users Group.  MPLUG was started by Warren Togumi before he went on to bigger
>and better things.

LUAU existed as far back as 1996:
http://web.archive.org/web/19970125100645/http://www.eosys.com/luau/

Warren Togami (note the 'a' in his name) re-started LUAU at Mid-PAC.

>It was a bunch of Linux enthusiasts that would get together once a month can talk shop, learn from each other, and build cool stuff.

Scott held a weekly "Talk Shop" (for this was its title) for a long
time.   He often ate alone, though occasionally others would show up.
It would be great if you would restart this, please be aware that not
all of us live in Honolulu and spread the love if you do.

>It seems like everything the Linux community does is run by HOSEF.  People
>want to have an autonomous LUAU back.

LUAU is autonomous.  People can have whatever meetings, scheduled, etc
they like.

Are you suggesting that the mere fact that the 'hosef.org' machine
*hosts* LUAU is enough to cause you (or others) discomfort?

I like the way Scott said it 18 months ago, so I'll just quote:
http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2004-August/015600.html

>I don't think that the question ever came up.  Most LUG's center around
>a mailing list, and that is LUAU.  It would be great if you used the
>LUAU mailing list and the HOSEF website, with calendar, to schedule and
>promote group activities with other Linux users on Kauai.  You could
>call your events the Kauai Luau, you could start a Kauai LUG, you could
>be the Kauai branch office of HOSEF.
>
>The bottom line is that it would probably make the most sense, in terms
>of pooling our collective talents, to use just one mailing list.  The
>LUAU and HOSEF resources are there for you to use in promoting OSS on
>Kauai.  Our mission of promoting OSS in Hawaii does not begin and end on
>Oahu.  We need people like yourself to help us to understand how best to
>be of value to Kauai.

While the response was specific to the potential for being a "member of
LUAU" for people who aren't Oahu residents, I think the statement
clearly generalizes to other situations.

>HOSEF is geared toward bringing Linux to the OSS neophytes, LUAU is for newbies-gurus & everywhere in between,
>business owners, solution providers etc.  Of course there is some cross over.

Matt, while this is a common misconception, it is only made worse by
your statement.

HOSEF is also for business owners, solution providers, enthusiasts,
etc.    LUAU, the mailing list, is the last vestige of the original user
group.   HOSEF doesn't have its own list, other than the (quite open)
mailing list where board actions are discussed.  (This is 'hosef-managers'.)

A complete list of mailing lists hosted on the hosef machine can be
found here:

Here is my first message to the LUAU list:
http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2004-August/015532.html

Here is where Scott explained his version of the history of LUAU:
http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2004-August/015595.html

Here is the "bullet point", at least what I sus out to be 'it':

>The charitable status enabled our Bandwidth Shepard, Brian Chee, to host
>this list and other sponsored projects at the UH.  That is how we are
>here.  It is time to get busier, though, and HOSEF is trying to help.

So the 503(c) status of HOSEF (the organization) enabled it to host the
list (and other resources) free of charge at UH.

More interesting, is that Scott started the thread, and set the Subject
line to "LUAU is *your* LUG" (Emphasis mine.)

Here is (from what I can quickly tell), your first post to LUAU:
http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2004-December/015859.html

You were quickly answered,   You asked for help on-list several other
times, and always seemed satisfied, if not elated, with the result:
http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2005-March/016102.html
and yes, I was happy to solve your problem.  A problem that would have
cost you a pair of Benjamins at my normal consulting rate.  I see LUAU
as a place to help build community, I pitched it.   Others have pitched
in more, or less, each to their own ability and interest.   This is fine
with me.

You've also offered helpful advice and some humor in the past.
Something seems to have changed.

>There was also talk of having a annual conference as a fundraser to highlight OSS in the community - j/k

I find your humor here derogatory in tone and tenor, and sarcastic at
best.  Perhaps I misinterpret, and you will clarify.  Interestingly the
record shows that you were involved with TPOSSCON 05.   Can it be true
that you now deride same?

>You should come next build, you can ask the 'old-timers' - people over 30 about the good old days.

Matt, you can choose to either help build, or help tear things apart.

I'll be 44 in May, what is your point?   Do you mean to insinuate that
because Julian is under 30, that he can't hope to understand your
politics?   That life really was better before he was born, when 1MB of
memory cost more than any of us made in a week?

Because I'll back Julian in a Linux "bar fight".   I'll lay $500 that he
can out-code anyone in your company (I get to pick the language and
platform.)

Jim