[LUAU] Pics and news about the mythtv build

Jon Reynolds jonr at destar.net
Wed Feb 22 18:31:04 PST 2006

Matt Darnell wrote:

> On 2/22/06, *Jon Reynolds* <jonr at destar.net <mailto:jonr at destar.net>> wrote:
>
>     Matt Darnell wrote:
>
>      > The two things that did not work were the remote control and
>     viewing the GUI
>      > on the TV.  We think that the TV out was at a resolution the TV
>     could not
>      > handle.  I will be posting to the mythtv list to try to get some
>     help.
>      > Weird that the remotes did not work, there is a choice in the
>     remote section
>      > for the exact remote we had.
>
>     You never mention how you were trying to set up your remote or what type
>     of remote you have.
>

> I am using the remote that comes with the Hauppauge 150.  We thought it
> would be slam dunk since in the remote setup screen, there is a choice
> for 'Hauppauge 150 Remote'  There were other choices, we will try those.

Try looking at Jarods site www.wilsonet.com and the remote section. He
has some predefined setups for the remotes and yours might be there. If
not, he has some links to some sites that will get you fixed up.

> What type of remote do you use?

I went out and bought a All-In-One remote so I could also control my tv
and cable box until I got my IR receiver/blaster working. If you do
decide to get another remote the one I have is pretty nice and not to
expensive. I can give you the model number and if you like it and want
to use it I will also send you my lirc files.

>     I believe to get the tv-out to work you will have to
>     use 640x480 is the best a standard TV can do. So make sure you set your
>     xorg file.
>

> We were fooling around with one file, not sure if that is the one.  When
> the box is booting up everything displays fine on the TV, you can see
> all the commands etc, right when the GUI kicks in, the TV picture is
> solid blue.

That is definitely an out of range issue, make sure you only use 640x480
when trying to output to your tv. (couple minutes later) I seem to have
800x600 in my xorg.conf file, so now I am unsure if 800x600 will work or
not. Try them both but the blue screen is 'out of range'.

> Can you share your xorg file?  Is it file different depending on the
> video card?

It is attached, for your viewing pleasure. :)

>      > I think as long as you had a PIII 800MHz you will be OK.  You can
>     get mythtv
>      > running on your regular box.
>
>     I run mine on a 733Mhz and 256MB of ram, that I would say is the bare
>     minimum. Anything less is a lesson in patience. :)
>

> I am sure the MPEG Encoder built into the card makes a huge difference.

Most definitely.

Ok, word of advice to you. If you have a family and get this set up you
will never again be able to mess with your myth box. The reason? It will
become painfully clear when you take it down and they have become used
to myth. ;)

Jon