[LUAU] looking for feedback samba/LDAP server

Clifton Royston cliftonr at iandicomputing.com
Wed Feb 8 08:46:47 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:34:03AM -1000, Michael Bishop wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2006, at 10:13 PM, Nakashima wrote:
> >http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?
> >ID=1888328&WishListTitle=liholiho
> >
> >On Tuesday, February 7, 2006, at 05:13  PM, Michael Bishop wrote:
> >>Use the 'email wish list' link on their site and email yourself
> >>the right link. Don't forget to share it.

> My suggestions/comments are as follows. Please forgive my direct
>
> Mobo - good airflow, me like.

Agreed, that's a server-class board, and will last longer and be more
reliable than most of the hobbyist/gamer oriented boards.

> Processor - buy a server-class processor, my suggestion provides
> 0.2Ghz more in speed and doubles the L2 cache to 1MB:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596
> Add $86

  I'd go a different route, pay even a little more, and go for the
cheapest X2 or Opteron 1x5 processor.  Linux has long been able to make
good use of SMP.  If it's for Samba/LDAP alone maybe you don't need it,
but I'm thinking that this will probably end up doing even more things.
Looks like you can get a dual-core Opteron for $325.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588

> RAM - ... Second, ECC please, I don't see why no ECC, the following
> ECC RAM costs less then either proposed RAM packs, has been qualified
> by the Tyan to work with the mobo and has a lifetime warranty. So why
> not ECC?
>
> Either get 4 x 512MB, like one of those recommended by Tyan
> Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC
> 3200) System Memory - Retail
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141427
> $47.99

  Agreed, get ECC for reliability.  Go read the DJB pages I linked for
why.

> Hard Drives - If the budget is so tight that you can't afford to get
> a second hard drive, then move down to SATA. The SCSI controller is
> very nice, but is the most expensive part at $345. I've had SCSI
> drives die within a few weeks. Your entire school is going to
> authenticate off this box, can you really afford to be down waiting
> for an RMA? I hope you'll be setting up one of those P4's from HOSEF
> as a backup. Just fully populate the RAM and toss in 2 HDs running
> soft RAID.
>
> In place of $540 SCSI solution which is 1/3rd the budget I suggest:
>
> 3ware 80062LPKIT PCI SATA Controller Card - Retail
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816116030
> $126

  I'm not sure even this is necessary unless you're feeling you *must*
do hardware RAID.  There's an SATA controller on the mobo, and you can
configure Linux to do software RAID1 almost trivially.

> For the same amount of space:
> Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive - OEM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144200
> $101.50
>
> Or for double:
> Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive - OEM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160
> $155.00
>
> So for (2) 36G SATA150 10K drives and controller:
> $329
>
> Or for (2) 72G SATA150 10K drives and controller:
> $436
>
> This is just my quick 2 hour assessment. I think I've covered most of
> the bases. However, to make this 'bullet proof' it would take another
> 2 hours at least, but I think your team can take it from here. Just
> make sure you have enough cables (don't forget the mobo comes with
> some), the right cables, the right length cables (data and PSU),
> enough PSU cables or adapters, check that the PSU will fit in the
> case, enough fans, a big enough case (looks kind of small), enough
> space for 2 hard drives while keeping in mind airflow for everything,
> on second thought, I'd suggest a bigger case unless size is a big
> deal. I'd also suggest a rack mount, I find them easier to work with
> then a tower. I usually put it on a table, put the monitor on top and
> buy a small form KB. There are many nice and inexpensive ones on Newegg.

  Everything Michael has said here is good advice.  Get plenty of fans.
Your expensive hardware will live twice as long if you keep plenty of
cool air blowing over it.  Did I mention that you want fans?

  Oh, and I know so many of our schools lack air conditioning.  If
there is *any* room, anywhere in the school, which has reliable air
conditioning, make sure this server lives there.  Every degree you can
lower the average temperature means longer life for the hard drives, the
CPU, and nearly every component within it.
  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/