[LUAU] looking for feedback samba/LDAP server

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Wed Feb 8 02:34:03 PST 2006

On Feb 7, 2006, at 10:13 PM, Nakashima wrote:

> http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?
> ID=1888328&WishListTitle=liholiho
>
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2006, at 05:13  PM, Michael Bishop wrote:
>> Use the 'email wish list' link on their site and email yourself
>> the right link. Don't forget to share it.
>>
>> On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:41 PM, pnakashi at k12.hi.us wrote:
>>> The above URL links to a wish list for our school's soon to be
>>> purchased samba/LDAP server. I'm not great at hardware, so I'd
>>> like to get some advice from someone more qualified. Any feedback
>>> would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> I think we need 2 gig of ram and 15K SCSI.
>>> --Peter

My suggestions/comments are as follows. Please forgive my direct

Mobo - good airflow, me like.

Processor - buy a server-class processor, my suggestion provides
0.2Ghz more in speed and doubles the L2 cache to 1MB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596
Add $86

Video card - I wouldn't buy one, just strip one from another box, I'm
sure HOSEF has truck loads. Otherwise need to check compatibility
with Linux or pick something more brand name.

Power Supply (PSU) - *wrong* PSU for the mobo, it may be an ATX mobo,
but that doesn't mean it takes an ATX type PSU, you need a type
EPS12V, I suggest:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103478
$103.50

RAM - first off the crucial memory is not listed as compatible for
the Tyan mobo. Half way to second, OCZ RAM, great if your going to
overclock, just keep the extinguisher handy and a few $100 for a new
processor. Second, ECC please, I don't see why no ECC, the following
ECC RAM costs less then either proposed RAM packs, has been qualified
by the Tyan to work with the mobo and has a lifetime warranty. So why
not ECC?

Either get 4 x 512MB, like one of those recommended by Tyan
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC
3200) System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141427
$47.99

or pick one that is compatible via the Crucial list:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?model=S2865+Tomcat
+K8E&tabid=AM

If you want 1GB sticks then you'll have to do the leg work; at this
point I'm getting cranky (or lazy). ;-P

Also, PC2700 RAM is plenty fast, don't waste the money on PC3200. I
picked PC3200 above because it was the only 512MB sticks I could find
that Newegg was selling and a brand that I would use. If you pick
fron Crucial, then get PC2700 ECC.

Floppy - get one from HOSEF, I'd find a Sony branded one

Hard Drives - If the budget is so tight that you can't afford to get
a second hard drive, then move down to SATA. The SCSI controller is
very nice, but is the most expensive part at $345. I've had SCSI
drives die within a few weeks. Your entire school is going to
authenticate off this box, can you really afford to be down waiting
for an RMA? I hope you'll be setting up one of those P4's from HOSEF
as a backup. Just fully populate the RAM and toss in 2 HDs running
soft RAID.

In place of $540 SCSI solution which is 1/3rd the budget I suggest:

3ware 80062LPKIT PCI SATA Controller Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816116030
$126

For the same amount of space:
Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144200
$101.50

Or for double:
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160
$155.00

So for (2) 36G SATA150 10K drives and controller:
$329

Or for (2) 72G SATA150 10K drives and controller:
$436

This is just my quick 2 hour assessment. I think I've covered most of
the bases. However, to make this 'bullet proof' it would take another
2 hours at least, but I think your team can take it from here. Just
make sure you have enough cables (don't forget the mobo comes with
some), the right cables, the right length cables (data and PSU),
enough PSU cables or adapters, check that the PSU will fit in the
case, enough fans, a big enough case (looks kind of small), enough
space for 2 hard drives while keeping in mind airflow for everything,
on second thought, I'd suggest a bigger case unless size is a big
deal. I'd also suggest a rack mount, I find them easier to work with
then a tower. I usually put it on a table, put the monitor on top and
buy a small form KB. There are many nice and inexpensive ones on Newegg.

Peter, if you have any questions, as always you are welcome to give
me a call or drop me an email.

Good luck and have fun!

Michael