[LUAU] looking for feedback samba/LDAP server

pnakashi at k12.hi.us pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Wed Feb 8 11:20:50 PST 2006

See below...

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Bishop <michael at michaelsplace.net>
> My suggestions/comments are as follows. Please forgive my direct

None taken. I truly appreciate your directness. I'm not the type to get offended easily, especially when my initial ideas are off-center. I also really appreciate your valuable time contribution.

> Mobo - good airflow, me like.

Keeping. Thanks :-)

> Processor - buy a server-class processor, my suggestion provides
> 0.2Ghz more in speed and doubles the L2 cache to 1MB:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596
> Add $86

Removed old, added new. Thanks :-)

> Video card - I wouldn't buy one, just strip one from another box,
> I'm
> sure HOSEF has truck loads. Otherwise need to check compatibility
> with Linux or pick something more brand name.

Removed. Thanks :-)

> Power Supply (PSU) - *wrong* PSU for the mobo, it may be an ATX
> mobo,
> but that doesn't mean it takes an ATX type PSU, you need a type
> EPS12V, I suggest:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103478
> $103.50

Removed old, and added new. Thanks :-)

> RAM - first off the crucial memory is not listed as compatible for
> the Tyan mobo.

My bad. These sticks are for our existing terminal server which needs to go from 2 gig to 4 gig. The OCZ sticks are for the samba/LDAP server.

> Half way to second, OCZ RAM, great if your going to
> overclock, just keep the extinguisher handy and a few $100 for a
> new
> processor. Second, ECC please, I don't see why no ECC, the
> following
> ECC RAM costs less then either proposed RAM packs, has been
> qualified
> by the Tyan to work with the mobo and has a lifetime warranty. So
> why
> not ECC?

Just my ignorance.

> Either get 4 x 512MB, like one of those recommended by Tyan
> Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR 400
> (PC
> 3200) System Memory - Retail
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141427
> $47.99

Removed OCZ sticks and added Kingston sticks. Chose to spend extra $3 for 1 gig sticks to save slots. Thanks :-)

Could I also use these with our old server? They're cheaper than the

*  Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) ECC Registered System Memory Model KVR266X72RC25L/512 - Retail * $77.50

> Floppy - get one from HOSEF, I'd find a Sony branded one

Removed. Thanks :-)

> I hope you'll be setting up one of those P4's from HOSEF
> as a backup. Just fully populate the RAM and toss in 2 HDs running
> soft RAID.

I'm going to stick with a one drive SCSI box for our production server. I'm also going to try to set up a backup server as you suggested just in case while we wait for a new drive to arrive.
Thanks again for all the great help :-)
--Peter