[LUAU] PFOSSCON, lawyers and Solaris

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Fri Dec 22 17:56:28 PST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 7:50 AM, Julian Yap wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 23:45 -1000, Jimen Ching wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> Eben Moglen has participated in a great many technical discussions.
>>> Its part of his vocation (job) and avocation (the thing he loves).
>>
>> Do we have the same definition of technical?  I'm talking about
>> technical
>> software discussions.  I.e. design, implementation, etc.  If Eben
>> Moglen
>> participates in these discussions, then this is the first time
>> I've heard
>> of it.  Are there any references?  I would be very interested to
>> hear his
>> thoughts on OOP.
>
> Here's a reference:
> http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/resume.html
>
> His official resume.  Note the line:
> 1979-84, IBM Corporation, San Jose, California, Programmer/Analyst,
> Programming Language Research & Development.

As I said, many lawyers have expertise in the field they cover.
Its a mistake to assume that others aren't at least as smart as you are.

> We are in the process of confirm another 1 or 2 speakers and will
> finalize the day's schedule after that.

We have confirmed Richard Stallman and Barton George (of Sun's Open
Source office).   Barton grew up on Oahu.   With any luck he'll be
able to give some hints about where the licensing for Solaris is
headed.  (Its too bad Wayne resigned from the list, eh?  Isn't he a
big Solaris fan?)

If Solaris goes GPLv3, it could put a real knock in the side of the
"linux industry".   Oh, people will still run Linux desktops and
embedded linux on
various widgets, but the server space, where Linux is currently
succeeding, could encounter some real pressure.   Especially with the
moves that
Microsoft is obviously planning.

Jim

p.s.  perhaps we should try to bring Eben to Hawaii to speak.  It
could provide an interesting counterpoint to Larry Rosen.  :-)