[LUAU] Love of disagreements

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 09:50:17 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 23:45 -1000, Jimen Ching wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Jim Thompson wrote:
> > Eben Moglen has participated in a great many technical discussions.
> > Its part of his vocation (job) and avocation (the thing he loves).
>
> Do we have the same definition of technical?  I'm talking about technical
> software discussions.  I.e. design, implementation, etc.  If Eben Moglen
> participates in these discussions, then this is the first time I've heard
> of it.  Are there any references?  I would be very interested to hear his
> thoughts on OOP.

Here's a reference:
http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/resume.html

His official resume.  Note the line:
1979-84, IBM Corporation, San Jose, California, Programmer/Analyst,
Programming Language Research & Development.

> > Scott didn't say "LUAU = HOSEF; HOSEF = LUAU;", I did.
>
> http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2006-December/017515.html
> <qoute>
> Jim is correct that HOSEF=LUAU, and you are correct that LUAU is not owned
> by HOSEF.
> </qoute>

That's really taking Scott's quote out of context.

"Correct.  HOSEF does not "own" LUAU.  HOSEF is the entity that has
managed and sustained LUAU.  Jim is correct that HOSEF=LUAU, and you are
correct that LUAU is not owned by HOSEF.  LUAU does not magically exist,
though, and there is real work and sacrifice behind this thing so many
take for granted."

Now Jim's statement was in reaction to Matt Darnell's in reference to
http://mirrors.hosef.org:
http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2006-December/017494.html

"I am sure HOSEF has a box it could donate to LUAU."

So bear in mind that Jim's comment was in a reply to Matt's comment
about the mirror server.

And like you said:

"LUAU doesn't have a leader, there's no phone number, there's no monthly
meetings.  There's no treasury.  LUAU, at the end of the day, is just a
file with a list of email addresses on someone's computer.  Apparently,
at the moment, it's lists.hosef.org."

While that does simplify the amount of effort put into the long term
existence of LUAU, it's essentially what LUAU is.  A mailing list of 170
currently active email addresses.

It's good we're clarifying some things so we'll know how to phrase
things in the future and further solidify where things stand.

In the end, like the point I was trying to make earlier, we're all in it
together.

~ Julian

PS.

Please help spread the word of PFOSSCON.  We need registrants and
attendees to ensure that these type of events can continue to be held
our islands.  PFOSSCON costs nothing to attend and registration takes
only a minute.

We have confirmed that PFOSSCON will be held at the University of
Hawai`i, Business Administration Building, room BUSAD A101.

We are in the process of confirm another 1 or 2 speakers and will
finalize the day's schedule after that.

http://www.pfosscon.org/