[LUAU] s/hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors.hosef.org/g

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Dec 18 03:44:15 PST 2006

On Dec 17, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Clifton Royston wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 03:51:22AM -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> I really don't get the whole HOSEF vs. LUAU thing.
>>
>> There is no HOSEF vs. LUAU thing.
>>
>> HOSEF is LUAU.  LUAU is HOSEF.
>
>> There is no ownership.   Free Software teaches this.
>>
>> There is no I. There is no other.  There is only 'we' or nothing.
>>
>> Know your user, know yourself.
>>
>>> What is the actual 'issue'?
>>
>> some people want a place to hang and drink coffee, tea or beer while
>> playing with linux.
>> some people want to make the world a better place (installing labs,
>> keeping ewaste out of the dump, etc)
>> some want to look for a job
>> some are trying to avoid a job
>> sometimes these are the same people.
>> sometimes these are different people.
>>
>>> What would it take to have this issue 'go away'?
>>
>> zero ego.  the selfless self.
>
>   This is true in theory, in principle, but I'm sure you've heard the
> difference between theory and practice.

Wise men do not become trapped by experience (practice).

>   In dealing with people, you need to start with people as they are.
> If some people see barriers between them, then there's a barrier for
> them.  (In some cases this may include entities such as the IRS who
> deal with the legalities of entities.)

This barrier is imaginary.  A myth.  It is only present for those who
think it so.

A myth is, of course, not a fairy story. It is the presentation of
facts belonging to one category in the idioms
appropriate to another. To explode a myth is accordingly not to deny
the facts but to re-allocate them.