[LUAU] s/hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors.hosef.org/g

Clifton Royston cliftonr at iandicomputing.com
Sun Dec 17 10:57:40 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 03:51:22AM -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
> >I really don't get the whole HOSEF vs. LUAU thing.
>
> There is no HOSEF vs. LUAU thing.
>
> HOSEF is LUAU.  LUAU is HOSEF.

> There is no ownership.   Free Software teaches this.
>
> There is no I. There is no other.  There is only 'we' or nothing.
>
> Know your user, know yourself.
>
> >What is the actual 'issue'?
>
> some people want a place to hang and drink coffee, tea or beer while
> playing with linux.
> some people want to make the world a better place (installing labs,
> keeping ewaste out of the dump, etc)
> some want to look for a job
> some are trying to avoid a job
> sometimes these are the same people.
> sometimes these are different people.
>
> >What would it take to have this issue 'go away'?
>
> zero ego.  the selfless self.

  This is true in theory, in principle, but I'm sure you've heard the
difference between theory and practice.

  In dealing with people, you need to start with people as they are.
If some people see barriers between them, then there's a barrier for
them.  (In some cases this may include entities such as the IRS who
deal with the legalities of entities.)

  If you can be free of accepting boundaries, you don't need to convert
other people to the same - that's usually a waste of energy.  (This is
one reason I've stopped arguing about source licenses.)
  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/