[LUAU] community wifi and mesh routing?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Aug 17 17:55:10 PDT 2006

R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Tim Newsham wrote:
>> How close is mesh routing to be ready for prime time?  It sounds like
>> the city of new orleans is finding it indispensible.  How strict is
>> oceanic and hawaiiantelcom about bandwidth sharing?  Wasn't HOSEF
>> setting up some community wireless projects?  If so, what were they
>> using to provide bandwidth to the internet? Are there any community
>> efforts to provide free wlan meshes here?
>
> Yes.  With the donation of equipment from Jim, HOSEF has created a FREE
> wireless hotspot surrounding the park on North Road in Ewa Beach.  We
> cover about 1/2 mile on one side of the park.  With the help of Wilson
> Chan, we cabled and installed 15 Linux thin clients there, too.

Woops.  As ugly as running and terminating cables can be, I cannot
overlook the fact that Jim Thompson and a friend of Wilson's also spent
a lot of sweaty time in Ewa wiring our 15 clients.  This is no easy
task, and all the help we received is forever appreciated.

Parents in the park can now watch their kids practice and play while
telecommuting if need be.

--scott