[LUAU] community wifi and mesh routing?

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Aug 17 18:18:14 PDT 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 2:55 PM, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> R. Scott Belford wrote:
>> Tim Newsham wrote:
>>> How close is mesh routing to be ready for prime time?  It sounds
>>> like the city of new orleans is finding it indispensible.  How
>>> strict is oceanic and hawaiiantelcom about bandwidth sharing?
>>> Wasn't HOSEF setting up some community wireless projects?  If so,
>>> what were they using to provide bandwidth to the internet? Are
>>> there any community efforts to provide free wlan meshes here?
>> Yes.  With the donation of equipment from Jim, HOSEF has created a
>> FREE wireless hotspot surrounding the park on North Road in Ewa
>> Beach.  We cover about 1/2 mile on one side of the park.  With the
>> help of Wilson Chan, we cabled and installed 15 Linux thin clients
>> there, too.
>
> Woops.  As ugly as running and terminating cables can be, I cannot
> overlook the fact that Jim Thompson and a friend of Wilson's also
> spent a lot of sweaty time in Ewa wiring our 15 clients.  This is
> no easy task, and all the help we received is forever appreciated.

You're welcome, but its just a start.

> Parents in the park can now watch their kids practice and play
> while telecommuting if need be.

Now if we could just get C&C to help us figure out how to get some
kind of penetration on the roof, we could put a real node on top of
the park's clubhouse, and cover a much wider area (likely with 802.11a).

Then we could link to a node on top of the Boys & Girls Club, and we
would have a 2-node mesh.

 From there, I'd attempt to reach a 3rd node at Ewa Beach Park
(assuming there is a structure there tall enough to 'see' the
clubhouse across the street from Campbell H.S.)

I can't tell, as the google maps image of that area is literally
"obscured by clouds".

Jim