[LUAU] community wifi and mesh routing?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Aug 17 15:03:17 PDT 2006

Tim Newsham wrote:
> How close is mesh routing to be ready for prime time?  It sounds like
> the city of new orleans is finding it indispensible.  How strict is
> oceanic and hawaiiantelcom about bandwidth sharing?  Wasn't HOSEF
> setting up some community wireless projects?  If so, what were they
> using to provide bandwidth to the internet? Are there any community
> efforts to provide free wlan meshes here?

Yes.  With the donation of equipment from Jim, HOSEF has created a FREE
wireless hotspot surrounding the park on North Road in Ewa Beach.  We
cover about 1/2 mile on one side of the park.  With the help of Wilson
Chan, we cabled and installed 15 Linux thin clients there, too.

We are about to do the same on the rooftop of the Boys and Girls Club.
I was waiting to see if LavaNet would sponsor the Internet connection.
Jim is donating the equipment, and this will go live as soon as we can
get him back out here for the install.  This should cover about a 1 mile
radius from the clubhouse.

> It seems like wlan has penetrated the consumer market thoroughly... In
> my area, at least, I can see about as many APs as I can see houses...
> They're all just last-meter spokes off of some broadband link, though.

Perhaps, Tim, you will soon see our free4ewa essid in your neighborhood.

> Tim Newsham
> http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

--scott

--