[LUAU] community wifi and mesh routing?

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Aug 17 12:17:29 PDT 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Tim Newsham wrote:

> How close is mesh routing to be ready for prime time?
OLSR is about as good as it gets for a layer-3 mesh algorithm.  Using
this over the 802.11MAC is a bit of a letdown, but many people think
its OK.  (I can expound on the flaws without end.)

> It sounds like the city of new orleans is finding it
> indispensible.  How strict is oceanic and hawaiiantelcom about
> bandwidth sharing?
Likely?  Too.

http://www.twctheft.com/TypeOfTheft.aspx

WiFi Theft – WiFi theft occurs when someone installs a wireless
network in a residence or business location and intentionally enables
others to receive broadband service for free over their wireless
network.

Wireless networking is a great product, but when using a wireless
network subscribers should always secure their home networks from
unauthorized users. Unsecured wireless networks allow others to
access a subscriber's network and potentially see all of the
subscriber's personal files, allow potential criminals and terrorists
to send untraceable communications or allow an individual to download
illegal materials, such as copyrighted or obscene material that would
lead back to the subscribers modem.

[...]

Primary Theft

Primary theft of cable services involves instances where someone does
not subscribe to any cable services but makes (and/or maintains) an
unauthorized connection to a cable company's cable system. This type
of theft can occur when someone takes affirmative steps to connect
his or her residence or business to the system, or has someone make
the connection for them. It can also involve surreptitiously using
someone else's wireless network to gain access to the Internet, or
signing up for cable service using a false identity with no intention
of paying for the service.

[,,,]

http://www.hawaiiantel.com/pdfs/HawaiianTelcom-HTP-510-
ResidentialTermsOfServiceAgreement.pdf

[...]

4.6 If you subscribe to High Speed Internet Service:
4.6.1 You may not resell the High Speed Internet Service, use it for
high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that
constitute resale (commercial or non-commercial), as determined
solely by Hawaiian Telcom.

4.6.2 You may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home
or office location to your High Speed Internet Service
or High Speed Internet modem and/or router to access the Service, but
only through a single High Speed Internet account and
a single IP address obtained from Hawaiian Telcom.

4.6.3 Where available, High Speed Internet customers may use their
Internet accounts to connect through an analog
connection, but these connections will be subject to usage thresholds
and additional per hour and monthly charges, depending
on the Service to which you subscribed.

4.6.4 Additional User IDs provided for High Speed Internet customers
email boxes are not intended for use as Dialup
connections. Any usage associated with additional email box User IDs
will be charged the per hour rate associated with usage
above the monthly allotment for analog Dialup Service (where
available). The number of mailboxes available to you depends
upon the Service to which you have subscribed.

4.6.5 You may not use the High Speed Internet Service to host any
type of server whether personal or commercial in nature.
4.7 Hawaiian Telcom reserves the right to audit connections
electronically to enforce these or any other provisions of the
Agreement.

4.8 Hawaiian Telcom also reserves the right in our sole discretion,
with or without notice to you, to modify or restrict the bandwidth
available to download content from our Usenet Newsgroup services.

> Wasn't HOSEF setting up some community wireless projects?  If so,
> what were they using to provide bandwidth to the internet? Are
> there any community efforts to provide free wlan meshes here?

This is Hawaii, set your clock back 4-40 years.

> It seems like wlan has penetrated the consumer market thoroughly...
> In my area, at least, I can see about as many APs as I can see
> houses...
> They're all just last-meter spokes off of some broadband link, though.

Scott and I have talked a little bit about unwiring Ewa.   I gave a
presentation on unwiring Hawaii Homelands at TPOSSCON last year, but
Sandwich Isle Communications already has (or should have) fiber into
most (or all) of these.  http://starbulletin.com/2002/06/04/news/
story2.html

How do they pay for it? $400-$500 million of your "tax dollars" (The
FCC Universal Service Fund, that $2 you pay on your phone bill every
month).
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2005/02/07/daily72.html
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Jun/19/bz/bz03p.html

This article says they've spent $160 million to serve 1,300
customers. or $123,076.92 per customer.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Jun/18/bz/bz07p.html

Its obvious to me that SIC is building a bypass network.  Maybe they
would like to help HOSEF create more jobs.

Of course, I think HITEL is living in a state of sin for not rolling
out FTTH here.   Too expensive?  Not with the density on Oahu!

Verizon (who used to own HITEL before they sold it to the Carlyle
group) is building out 100Mbps to the home on the East Coast of the
mainland (and parts of California):

http://www.rlslog.net/verizon-prepares-next-gen-100-mbit-broadband/
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/14/technology/14verizon.html?
pagewanted=1&ref=technology

And then there is that forward-thinking state: Utah.  (WTx?  Utah?)
Yes, Utah, where you can get 100Mbps fiber (full duplex!) to your
home, and GigE Networking to a business.
http://www.utopianet.org/

Or, if you're happy with a 15Mbps full-duplex connection (over
100Mbps Ethernet), you can get one for $39/month:
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=81200

Well, this say 10Mbps (still full-duplex): http://www.mstarmetro.com/
services/compare.html
Makes me want to move.

Maybe C&C could issue a 30 year bond package for around $100 million
to provide FTTH for all of Oahu's residents, ala Utopia in Utah.

And maybe I should just "go beach" and forget this stuff.

Jim