[LUAU] MythTV on Fedora

Michael Matsuzaki m.matsuzaki at verizon.net
Tue May 31 01:50:13 PDT 2005

jonr wrote:
> Eric Hattemer wrote:
>
>> Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
>>

>>> Anyway, I am only interested in the most rudimentary part of MythTV
>>> (or any other similar package) that will allow me to, as a first
>>> step, watch TV or rental DVD movies via a coaxial-to-USB converter,
>>> from a Linux machine.  Wayne
>>>
>> Watching TV is much easier through tvtime or xawtv, which are easier
>> to get up and running than MythTV.  MythTV gives full PVR
>> functionality, which is much better.  There's really no need to
>> install MythTV via rpms.  It'll install onto just about any linux
>> platform (or OSX); just follow
>> http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall .  I installed
>> several different versions over the years and its really not too
>> hard.  I'm not in Hawaii anymore, though.  Its not testing by any
>> means.  Its very stable and works fine.  You can use one of the point
>> versions, or you can use the CVS version.  Both work well.  The CVS is
>> not unstable, but it does develop rapidly.
>> -Eric Hattemer

> Actually, installing the entire mythtv suite with all the extras by
> issuing the command 'apt-get install mythtv-suite' does have it's charm.
>
> I have been wanting to install it all by source and having read this, I
> think I will give it a try. As for trying to do mythtv with the 1ghz
> via? This is a perfect solution for a small footprint myth box the asus
> pundit-r is another popular small footprint box. If you are thinking
> HDTV using one of those, then the Hawaiian word for loco would be
> appropriate. :)
>
> If anybody wants my config files just email me and ask I will give them
> up if you want, but www.wilsonet.com has all the working config files
> also and is the best howto for installing using apt-get.
>
> Jon
>
> Jon

Hello all, I've been out of the house this memorial day weekend.  It is
wonderful to watch tv programs you when you want to watch them.  I've
been running mythtv for 14 months without a glitch.  I'm using FC 1
because I've figured, if it ain't broke... don't fix it.

I have an amd 2500, 512mb, 160g hd, hauppauge 250, sound blaster live,
and a dlink usb wireless adapter to update the tv listings nightly.
I've gotta find an easy way to archive my programs to dvd.

I also transfer mp3's from my laptop to my mythbox and use it as a juke
box with my home theater system.  I've also used mythtv to rip my dvd's
and use the mythbox as a dvd juke box.

Try it... you like it.

Mike