[LUAU] MythTV on Fedora

jonr jonr at destar.net
Mon May 30 19:26:07 PDT 2005

Eric Hattemer wrote:
> Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
>

>> Anyway, I am only interested in the most rudimentary part of MythTV
>> (or any other similar package) that will allow me to, as a first step,
>> watch TV or rental DVD movies via a coaxial-to-USB converter, from a
>> Linux machine.  Wayne
>>
> Watching TV is much easier through tvtime or xawtv, which are easier to
> get up and running than MythTV.  MythTV gives full PVR functionality,
> which is much better.  There's really no need to install MythTV via
> rpms.  It'll install onto just about any linux platform (or OSX); just
> follow http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall .  I installed
> several different versions over the years and its really not too hard.
> I'm not in Hawaii anymore, though.  Its not testing by any means.  Its
> very stable and works fine.  You can use one of the point versions, or
> you can use the CVS version.  Both work well.  The CVS is not unstable,
> but it does develop rapidly.
> -Eric Hattemer

Actually, installing the entire mythtv suite with all the extras by
issuing the command 'apt-get install mythtv-suite' does have it's charm.

I have been wanting to install it all by source and having read this, I
think I will give it a try. As for trying to do mythtv with the 1ghz
via? This is a perfect solution for a small footprint myth box the asus
pundit-r is another popular small footprint box. If you are thinking
HDTV using one of those, then the Hawaiian word for loco would be
appropriate. :)

If anybody wants my config files just email me and ask I will give them
up if you want, but www.wilsonet.com has all the working config files
also and is the best howto for installing using apt-get.

Jon

Jon