[LUAU] MythTV on Fedora

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Tue May 31 14:33:03 PDT 2005

Michael Matsuzaki wrote:

> Hello all, I've been out of the house this memorial day weekend.  It
> is wonderful to watch tv programs you when you want to watch them.
> I've been running mythtv for 14 months without a glitch.  I'm using FC
> 1 because I've figured, if it ain't broke... don't fix it.

One more thing I should mention about mythTV.  Its by far the most
pollished linux software I've ever used.  They have the type of
attention to detail that linux software never has.  The frontend looks
just like a Tivo or whatever, it typically installs without trouble,
doesn't crash, and has tons and tons of features and addons.  More linux
programs need to work more like this.  Firefox is probably the only one
that comes anywhere close.  When I first saw it, I said "Wow, it runs
under linux?  Then why didn't I have fo fix or debug anything, or spend
days looking at documentation and mailing lists to try to fix some weird
dependency problem?"

Without networking it to other machines, its comparable to Tivo or any
other mainstream DVR, but maybe more expensive.  If you network it with
other machines, you get a lot more flexibility.  If you needed that
machine anyway to do other jobs (mythtv won't use 100% or a good
desktop's resources by any means), then its not expensive at all.

-Eric Hattemer