[LUAU] X problem

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Mon May 16 19:20:34 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 11:41, pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> I am running SuSE 9.3 and I noticed that if I install something or do an
> program update, sometimes I lose the ability to start KDE, GNOME, etc...
> and I do not have any clue why (I haven't changed any display settings).
> Especially since the update/install is for some program that shouldn't
> be touching the setting for X (ie. Gnucash, DVDrip, etc..). When it
> happens, I can only get the xconsole login manager and GUI.

Rodney,
	This means that X is starting, and the window manager, but you do not
have the menus and toolbar and so forth?   I have had a similar problem
in Mandrake (at least I think it was mandrake).  Have you tried logging
on as another user?  In my case, the user config files got messed up, so
if I was another user, KDE worked fine. So if I remember correctly, I
deleted the .kde directory in my home directory (you can use lots of
customization this way, there might be a more delicate approach to
take), and it was recreated when I logged in again.
Might be a good idea to backup your home directory from the command line
before you do anything drastic.

Now if only we knew what made your system do this....

--
James A. Stroble <stroble at hawaii.edu>