[LUAU] Fedora & mythtv cpu load

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Tue Jun 14 16:54:21 PDT 2005

Whoever Whatever wrote:

>Any thing else which I am over looking? I am recompiling the kernel
>today to see if that make a different.  I did some search on google,
>there are alot of complain on fedora running slower compair to some
>other dist, I want to nail down the cause first else I will be
>switching to debian.

Someone mentioned about KDE; I think what may be more likely is the
threads priority.  If you check in top for instance, X in one of the
systems was set to nice 0, and one was set to nice -10.  I don't
remember which of redhat/mandrake used which.  Try changing the nice
values for

mythbackend
mythfrontend

And who knows what to change them to?  I don't.  If the stuttering
happens inside the video file itself if you recorded it durring
compiling, then you should start mythbackend with nice (-10,-17).  If it
happens durring live TV, then you should start mythbackend with (-5,-10)
and mythfrontend (-10,-17).  I always do my compilations with nice of
19.  You might want to see if you can get one of the newer kernels with
the ionice patch working.

Make sure that selinux is set to the one that does nothing, not to the
one that generates warnings.

You could try a new kernel, even if you don't use ionice on it.

My mythtv on fedora works fine on my system, which is comparable to
yours.  I use a bttv card, which is very processor intensive.  I try not
to run big processes while recording/watching, though.  You should start
those processe with "nice -19", though.  ionice would be really really
cool if you had it working, but I never got around to it.

Did you try compiling mythtv yourself, or are you using the atrpms
version still?  I've never touched that version.  Try the CVS version,
and make sure you set all the optimal configuration options.

What bitrate are your recordings?

-Eric Hattemer