[LUAU] Fedora & mythtv cpu load

Whoever Whatever totally.lost at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:22:59 PDT 2005

On 6/13/05, Eric Hattemer <hattenator at imapmail.org> wrote:
> Whoever Whatever wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >   I was running Mandrake 9.2 for mythtv up to .18.1 on a shuttle
> >sk41g using PVR350 for about 2 years, nvidia tv-out, no problem
> >

> The PVR350 is hardware accelerated via ivtv, so that's unlikely to use
> more than 5% cpu.

This is true when it was running Mandrake 9.2, I tried ivtv from .2,
.3.2, .3.3s,l,z and now on .3.5l on fedora, ivtv wasn't one of the
cause. I saw 0.7 load average in Mandrake during normal use, but it
move around in fedora from 0.8 to 2.5 while watching live tv.

> > HD is enabled with DMA,  using KDE as WM, the only difference would
> >be xorg server on fedora, xwindow on Mandrake.  Thanks for the help.
> >

> I would blame the HD stuff.  Make sure that it is running in ATA
> whatever mode.  I have in my /etc/sysconfig/harddisks
>
> EXTRA_PARAMS=-X udma5
> MULTIPLE_IO=16
>  EIDE_32BIT=1
I want to blame the HD also, but same hardware on Mandrake was fine,
so I disabled selinux totally since it uses ACL on HD, and the HD
setup look okay to me, :
hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 21889/255/63, sectors = 180045766656, start = 0

> You might need to use a different udma level for your needs.  Also, if
> the nvidia TV out is in use regularly, make sure that you're using the
> nvidia.com driver.

Yup, already on 7117 I think, nvidia-setting is a nice utility for
over scan and adjust blanking.

Any thing else which I am over looking? I am recompiling the kernel
today to see if that make a different.  I did some search on google,
there are alot of complain on fedora running slower compair to some
other dist, I want to nail down the cause first else I will be
switching to debian.

Thanks.