[LUAU] Re: Fedora & mythtv cpu load

Whoever Whatever totally.lost at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 22:16:20 PDT 2005

> Someone mentioned about KDE; I think what may be more likely is the
> threads priority.  If you check in top for instance, X in one of the
> systems was set to nice 0, and one was set to nice -10.  I don't
> remember which of redhat/mandrake used which.  Try changing the nice
> values for

No, it wasn't KDE, I recompiled the kernel with athlon, then ended up
recompling ivtv, lirc and other needed modules, reinstalled nvidia
driver, system came up fast but with no sound.  It was pretty good
with very low load average, video not jerky while compiling. I have to
recompile alsa 1.09 to get the sound working again on via82xx, looks
like kernel/OSS driver not good for my board.  I was back to that
heavy load average with sound working again, I guess I nailed down the
cause, most likely the sound modules, I will try the bleeding version
later see if it's better.

> mythbackend
> mythfrontend
>
> And who knows what to change them to?  I don't.  If the stuttering
> happens inside the video file itself if you recorded it durring
> compiling, then you should start mythbackend with nice (-10,-17).  If it
> happens durring live TV, then you should start mythbackend with (-5,-10)
> and mythfrontend (-10,-17).  I always do my compilations with nice of
> 19.  You might want to see if you can get one of the newer kernels with
> the ionice patch working.

I already have frontend running nice -15, do you mean options "nice
-15" or nice level of "-15" ?

> Make sure that selinux is set to the one that does nothing, not to the
> one that generates warnings.

This was the first thing I disabled before any myth stuff getting on
to the hard drive, there's no way I need MAC and DAC on my mythtv.

> You could try a new kernel, even if you don't use ionice on it.

Do I need to bleed for ionice? I remember back in years ago, I was
chasing kernel release on 1.3.x tree to get ip masq working on my
33.6k dial up, stop doing that since the lap over of glib, remember
new lib on kernel 2.x.x ?

> My mythtv on fedora works fine on my system, which is comparable to
> yours.  I use a bttv card, which is very processor intensive.  I try not
> to run big processes while recording/watching, though.  You should start
> those processe with "nice -19", though.  ionice would be really really
> cool if you had it working, but I never got around to it.

Mine is fine if I don't start compiling stuff on it, I can get one of
the backend to record and watch live tv or play back,  I was just
suprise at the load average since the switch from Mandrake.

> Did you try compiling mythtv yourself, or are you using the atrpms
> version still?  I've never touched that version.  Try the CVS version,
> and make sure you set all the optimal configuration options.

I was compiling since .11 running on the good old Mandrake, I am just
tired of compiling and try to find a easy way out, well.. there's
another reason, .18 starting to use qt3.3 on some plugins, so I am too
lazy to upgrade from qt3.1 to qt3.3.  I will recompile it again to
compare with the atrpms, but I will try to solve the high load average
cause by sound modules first.

> What bitrate are your recordings?

720x480 bitrate 4.5k max 6k, I did try 3k.. same problem, but
shouldn't matter much to the cpu on hardware encoder right?

Thanks for the help.