[LUAU] Enabling CJK Fonts for Adobe Reader 7.0

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Tue Jul 19 12:00:56 PDT 2005

Aloha all,

Adobe Reader 7.0 represents a very refreshing improvement over the
previous 5.x version. It is amazing that such a little tool can make
Linux desktop so much closer to Windows.

However, the CJK fonts are not enabled in Adobe Reader 7.0. Since my
trial VMWare license has expired and I was too lazy to reboot into
Windows, I played with Acrobat a little bit this weekend and was luckily
able to display CJK fonts with Adobe Reader 7.0. My procedure is briefly
summarized as follows, any better/easier approach or comments will be
appreciated:

(0) Go to Adobe website to download the CJK fonts from Acrobat Reader 5.x:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontpack.html

On the dialog window, select Version Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.x, and
Platform, select UNIX, then begin downloading;

   1.

      For traditional Chinese fonts, the file downloaded is shown as
      chtfont.tar.gz; after unzipping and untarring, you should see the
      two files you need: LANGCHT.TAR and LANGCOM.TAR;

   2.

      Copy or move LANGCHT.TAR into
      /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Resource/Font, untar it there;

   3.

      mkdir /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Resource/CMap/cjk, copy or move
      LANGCOM.TAR to this newly created folder, untar it there.

   4.

      Now you should be able to display traditional Chinese fonts in the
      pdf file.

If you are running Fedora Core 4, I am sure you are aware that Adobe
Reader 7.0 won’t run, due to library compatibility problems. You need to
install the libstdc++ package containing compatibility standard C++
library from GCC 3.3.4. It’s been a while since I did this, but I
believe this package is in (Warren’s) Fedora Extra repository, and you
can very easily install it via yum:

yum install compat-libstdc++-33

(As you can see, I much prefer yum over apt.) Wayne