[LUAU] Intel Doubles Down on Linux

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Tue Jul 19 13:59:39 PDT 2005

Yesterday's eWeek has an article entitled "Intel Doubles Down on Linux":

The article mentioned that Intel has created a "Linux Program Office" to
pull Intel's efforts on Linux together under a single umbrella (as Intel
as been doing regarding the Microsoft platform).  These efforts span
programs aimed at notebooks, desktops, servers, storage and vertical
markets such as telecommunications.

One of the most frustrating aspects of working with Linux, especially in
the desktops arena, is the lack of competent drivers.  Or sometimes,
lack of drivers, period.

Intel's move should (and I hope "will") put a lot of pressure on the
Taiwanese peripheral makers, which, until now, have been selfishly
ignoring the Linux market by failing to provide even the most
rudimentary drivers for Linux, not to mention participating in the
open-source (or even open-spec) movement (and got away from it).  This
is a very exciting development, and I hope AMD will respond soon.  Wayne